Tuesday, November 08, 2005

My eyesight may suck, but I'm smart!

While I was meeting with the optician yesterday, trying on glasses frames, etc., she mentioned something to cheer me up about my shitty eyesight. I have a ridiculously high degree of myopia, and she told me that studies have shown that the greater the myopia, the higher the IQ. I decided to Google this today, and found several studies online which back up what she told me. Here's one of them:

It is also known that myopia is associated with higher IQ (see Cohn et al. 1988 for a review). Empirically, it does not appear that this association is caused by a greater degree of "nearwork" (e.g., reading) in higher IQ subjects. Furthermore, behavior genetic studies point to a clear genetic influence on variance in ocular refraction (Cohn et al. 1988). In contrast to the situation for height and IQ, the myopia/IQ association is also found within families. Cohn et al. (1988) showed that higher IQ siblings also tend to have a greater degree of myopia, even though the lower IQ siblings tended to spend more time studying and read more books on average. A pleiotropic relationship, in which genetic influences on IQ also influence the incidence of myopia, would appear to be the most likely explanation in this case.

Everyone in my family is nearsighted as hell, but we're all pretty damn smart. I guess that explains it. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe having such a high IQ is qhy you forget so many things...

9:35 AM, November 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home