The Eye Doctor
So, partly in an effort to get to the bottom of what is causing my migraines, and partly because it has been over two years since my last visit to the eye doctor, and I'm badly in need of new contact lens and glasses prescriptions, I am going to the eye doctor this afternoon.
I loathe going to the eye doctor.
I would rather go to any other doctor. Any other doctor at all. I'd rather go to the dentist.
The eye doctor always makes me feel like a failure. First, he tells me how screwed up my eyes are (I have various bizarre medical issues with my eyes), frets about the possibility of glaucoma, and threatens me with laser surgery. Then there's the glaucoma test (ugh -- the pressing of some sort of instrument right up against my eyeball), the pupil dilation, the shining of freakishly bright lights into my eyes (which always makes them hurt and water up a storm and has the potential to bring on another migraine), etc. Then, he starts in with the "which is better, one or two? Okay, two or three?" bullshit, and I can never tell much of a difference, so I end up trying to guess. "Ummmmmm, one? No, two! I think. Hell, I don't know! They look the same to me!" Then, as if that weren't enough humiliation for one day, when he thinks he has found the right prescription for me, he makes me read the eye chart. "Okay, can you read this line here?" He points at, like, the fifth line down. "Um. No. I can read the first line (the big "E") and the second line, and I can kinda make out some of the third line, but that's about it. Sorry."
Ugh. Finally, with a note of disappointment in his voice, he gives up, writes my prescriptions, and sends me on my way.
I loathe going to the eye doctor. I'd rather go to the gynecologist. It's uncomfortable, and kind of icky, but at least I don't feel like a failure at the gynecologist.
Sigh.
I loathe going to the eye doctor.
I would rather go to any other doctor. Any other doctor at all. I'd rather go to the dentist.
The eye doctor always makes me feel like a failure. First, he tells me how screwed up my eyes are (I have various bizarre medical issues with my eyes), frets about the possibility of glaucoma, and threatens me with laser surgery. Then there's the glaucoma test (ugh -- the pressing of some sort of instrument right up against my eyeball), the pupil dilation, the shining of freakishly bright lights into my eyes (which always makes them hurt and water up a storm and has the potential to bring on another migraine), etc. Then, he starts in with the "which is better, one or two? Okay, two or three?" bullshit, and I can never tell much of a difference, so I end up trying to guess. "Ummmmmm, one? No, two! I think. Hell, I don't know! They look the same to me!" Then, as if that weren't enough humiliation for one day, when he thinks he has found the right prescription for me, he makes me read the eye chart. "Okay, can you read this line here?" He points at, like, the fifth line down. "Um. No. I can read the first line (the big "E") and the second line, and I can kinda make out some of the third line, but that's about it. Sorry."
Ugh. Finally, with a note of disappointment in his voice, he gives up, writes my prescriptions, and sends me on my way.
I loathe going to the eye doctor. I'd rather go to the gynecologist. It's uncomfortable, and kind of icky, but at least I don't feel like a failure at the gynecologist.
Sigh.


2 Comments:
Have you thought about going to another eye doctor?
I hate doctors that try to use guilt as a weapon. I always reply "You can't use guilt on me, I denounced my Christianity." They hate when I say that.
My eye doctor keeps reminding me that I'm a "fine candidate" for laser surgery. I'd be a fine candidate if she was paying for it. But in time, I do want to get it done. If I have anymore neck fusions, I won't be able to turn my head at all. Then I'll definitely need it.
This guy is actually one of the best eye doctors and eye surgeons in town. I've been to plenty of 'em, and this one is the most highly recommended. They all make me feel the same way, so that's not the issue. I just feel like a failure when it comes to my vision. It's awful. That whole "which is better, one or two?" thing, and the eye chart, and the bright shiny light, and the glaucoma test... doesn't matter who is doing it; I hate it. I would love to get LASIK done, if my medical insurance would pay for it!
Post a Comment
<< Home