Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

I read in the news last week that there is a movement trying to get Americans to have a "moment of silence" on Memorial Day to reflect on the actual purpose of this holiday, but for some reason it's not catching on. Apparently, people just cannot be bothered to interrupt their barbecues and pool parties for a mere thirty seconds to pause and honor the men and women who have lost their lives in defense of this nation. I think that is a sad, sad commentary on our national priorities. So, I just thought I'd take a moment to pause and reflect on this Memorial Day and what it means.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did pause and reflect too. I wonder how many of the friends that I had in college who were members of the guard haven't come back from Iraq. And all of the military people I worked with over the years.

I salute them all.

4:19 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Saija said...

this poem has always meant alot to me ... one of the first i ever memorized and still know it ...

9:40 PM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

"I salute them all."

Hear, hear, Bear!

Saija, I'm glad you like the poem. It really is very moving. Are you a poetry fan? I spent much of the weekend reading a book of Spanish sonnets while on puppy-watch duty.

10:01 AM, June 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home