Saturday, August 28, 2010

Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in.

So, yesterday was a new horror story. The day went well up until around 8:30 in the evening. I was productive. I got some routine car maintenance done along with my annual inspection. I did the grocery and PetCo shopping. I picked up my computer from the shop. I tended to the slowly recovering kitties, who are all starting to perk back up and act like themselves again, though they're not quite there yet.

At around 8:30 p.m., everyone was fed and cared for and I was excited about the possibility of going to bed early. Then I noticed that Amos had something all over his right hind foot. Upon closer inspection, I realized he must have stepped in some poo in the litter box. Poo and litter were all matted into his fur, so I needed to clean that up. I grabbed some kitty grooming wipes and set to work, but they weren't really removing much, so I decided to try to cut out the mess with a pair of scissors.

NEVER, EVER do that. No scissors near the cat, EVER.

I thought I was being very cautious and gentle and was being careful not to clip too much or too close to the skin. I was wrong. Amos kept flinching and trying to bite at the scissors, but I assumed he just didn't like me messing with his foot. After I'd made several clippy-clips, I grabbed a grooming wipe to try to clean up the rest, and that was when I noticed it. I had CUT A HOLE in his foot. A hole through which I could see what I thought were BONES. There was no blood, but there was a HOLE with BONES showing through. I immediately put him in his carrier and raced off to the emergency animal hospital in absolute shock.

Fortunately, it was not as bad as I first thought. It was not bone, but rather tendon that I was seeing, and fortunately, I hadn't actually cut the tendons; I'd just cut the skin away. It was a small hole -- only about 5 mm, and the vet was able to just flush out the laceration, clean it up, and seal it with skin glue. It all took less than an hour. I brought him home with some new antibiotics and have been keeping a close eye on his foot. It looks fine. The skin glue is holding and there's no sign of infection, THANK GOD. He seems no worse for the wear.

I am still horrified that I did that to him, though. I had no idea a cat's skin was so paper-thin. Holy crap. I feel so very, very bad about it.

Today was much better. Everyone is still on the mend and I am hopeful that they'll all be back to normal in another week or two.

4 Comments:

Blogger pounce_uk said...

I just don't know what to say?

7:51 AM, August 29, 2010  
Blogger Catherine said...

He's doing really well, so fortunately the foot injury hasn't seemed to set him back any. It still looks like it's healing nicely, and he's still eating well and moving around much, much better than he was a week ago.

They all FINALLY seem to be getting better. I am really hoping that the nightmare is basically over now. I really need to start getting some sleep!

12:19 PM, August 29, 2010  
Blogger Saija said...

ah i'm so sorry for you Catherine - i know how my best intentions sometimes don't work out the way i wanted them too!!!!

i'm glad the kitty continues to heal ... and hopefully your household will soon be back to normal!

9:08 PM, August 29, 2010  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thank you, Saija! I just kept apologizing to him over and over again. Poor kitty! I can't believe I did that to him. I have learned my lesson, though. I'm going to buy an electric shaver for future feline use.

10:19 PM, August 29, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home