Crusoe
Two Mondays ago, on May 23rd, my parents went outside to help my little brother, who was visiting them, load up his car for his trip back home. There was a dog lying in the grass at the side of their driveway. He was covered in mud and one eye was crusted shut with goop. He was weak and malnourished but very sweet. My mom gave him some water and called animal control to take him to the shelter.

When my mom told me the story a couple of days later, I encouraged my parents to adopt him themselves, but they didn't seem interested. The following Saturday, my cousin told me that she'd had dinner with my parents the night before and they couldn't stop talking about the dog. They did want to adopt him, but didn't think they'd be able to afford his medical care. I called them that evening and told them that if they wanted to adopt the dog, I would pay for any and all expenses associated with his care. My cousin offered to chip in, as well.
On Tuesday, we went to visit the dog at the animal shelter, where my parents filled out an adoption application and were told they could pick him up the following day after he'd been neutered. Crusoe went home Wednesday evening.

I went to visit him this evening. This is the sweetest dog EVER. He is so gentle and laid back, and he loves to be petted and to give kisses. He's already housebroken, indicating that someone owned him at some point, but we'll never know how he came to be a stray or for how long he was fending for himself. At feeding time, he gulps down his kibble like he's afraid he may never see food again. I hope once he starts to feel secure in his new home, that fear will go away. My mom tells me that he spends much of his time on his blanket behind my dad's recliner, but that last night for the first time, he slept on a rug at the foot of their bed overnight.
He seems confused by toys and was even a little afraid of the squeaky ball I brought him, but maybe he'll learn to play after he gets settled in. My parents were afraid he might be too much of a handful for them, but apparently he's been perfectly behaved so far. I'm so happy that he's found a home and that my parents have found a dog.

Crusoe on the day my parents and brother found him in the yard
When my mom told me the story a couple of days later, I encouraged my parents to adopt him themselves, but they didn't seem interested. The following Saturday, my cousin told me that she'd had dinner with my parents the night before and they couldn't stop talking about the dog. They did want to adopt him, but didn't think they'd be able to afford his medical care. I called them that evening and told them that if they wanted to adopt the dog, I would pay for any and all expenses associated with his care. My cousin offered to chip in, as well.
On Tuesday, we went to visit the dog at the animal shelter, where my parents filled out an adoption application and were told they could pick him up the following day after he'd been neutered. Crusoe went home Wednesday evening.

Crusoe at home on his blankie
I went to visit him this evening. This is the sweetest dog EVER. He is so gentle and laid back, and he loves to be petted and to give kisses. He's already housebroken, indicating that someone owned him at some point, but we'll never know how he came to be a stray or for how long he was fending for himself. At feeding time, he gulps down his kibble like he's afraid he may never see food again. I hope once he starts to feel secure in his new home, that fear will go away. My mom tells me that he spends much of his time on his blanket behind my dad's recliner, but that last night for the first time, he slept on a rug at the foot of their bed overnight.
He seems confused by toys and was even a little afraid of the squeaky ball I brought him, but maybe he'll learn to play after he gets settled in. My parents were afraid he might be too much of a handful for them, but apparently he's been perfectly behaved so far. I'm so happy that he's found a home and that my parents have found a dog.

Crusoe getting some love from my mom


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home