Sunday, June 17, 2007

Oh, crap, I did it again

I really did not want another cat. Believe me, I have more than enough. But lately, this incredibly sweet little calico has been coming around for breakfast when I put out food for the neighborhood feral cats. She won me over the first time I saw her when she came right up to me and let me pet her, then started chowing down. She's obviously feral, and has to be less than a year old, yet has no fear of people and loves to be petted.

I've been considering taking her in ever since our first encounter a few weeks ago, but I really, really didn't want another cat. This morning when I went out to fill up the cat food dishes on the porch, she was curled up in the kitty bed. I petted her and was alarmed at how bony and frail she was. I couldn't help it. I picked her up and took her inside. She meowed a bit, but made no attempt to scratch, bite, or try to get away.

I put her in Achilles's crate, which he never uses any more, and set her up with a bed, litter box, and food and water dishes, plus a couple of toys. I'll keep her crated until I can get her to the vet this week to make sure she doesn't have anything my other cats could catch. I'm also praying that she's not pregnant!

She is just the sweetest, prettiest little thing. She's been curled up contentedly in her kitty bed all day, getting up occasionally to bat her toys around, have a bite to eat, and use the litter box. I've been checking on her periodically and she loves it when I open the crate door to pet her for awhile. The other cats and Achilles are curious, and have been hanging around the crate getting acquainted with her.

She's very frail, but I'm hoping it's just from malnutrition and that she isn't sick. With any luck, I'll just fatten her up on some good kitty food and she'll be fine.

Oh, and I've named her Cashmere.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwww! What a sweetie!

The kitten too. :)

You have a good heart, I hope she becomes a loving member of your pack/pride.

Arooooooooooooooooooo!!!

11:07 PM, June 18, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, tokin! :) She's going to the vet on Wednesday morning to get checked out. I shall keep you posted!

Aroooooooooooooorooooooooooroooooooo!

11:11 PM, June 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, keep me posted! On Achilles too!

How does he feel about squatters living in his crate? He's probably relieved. lol!

I hope she gets a clean bill of health an you can introduce her to the family! :)

Meowwwwwwwwww!


Dog vs. Virtual Cat.... LMAO!

http://www.unoriginal.co.uk/footage193_1.html

11:18 PM, June 18, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hahahahahahahahaha! What a cute doggie!

Achilles pretty much abandoned his crate to the kitties long ago, so he doesn't seem to mind its new occupant. He and the other kitties have been approaching the crate and sniffing at little Cashmere. They're all slightly curious, but I think they're used to the fact that every once in awhile, a new kitty shows up in the house. :)

11:23 PM, June 18, 2007  
Blogger Saija said...

leo and i were just hugging each other and saying how much we missed our fearless feline today ... your story doesn't help matters you know!!!!

should we? or shouldn't we?

10:12 PM, June 19, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Sorry about that, Saija! I think you guys absolutely should get a new kitty when you feel ready for one. It would be a blessing to you both, and there are so many animals out there who need good homes. I know it's hard to think about a new pet when you've recently lost one, but when the time is right, you'll know.

**hugs**

10:51 PM, June 19, 2007  
Blogger Baconeater said...

If you were forty years older, you would be called insane.

2:41 PM, June 20, 2007  
Blogger southfield_2001 said...

Has a cat ever not "won you over"? I'd have difficulty believing it, knowing your love for animals.
Good for you; one more cat won't upset the balance...

9:58 PM, June 20, 2007  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

Bless you young lady.
The cute black kitty (As per profile)who while living next door kind of lived here (Ate here, Slept here, sat in the window here)
Has gone. His owners have moved. Gosh never knew i could missed a bag of fur so much. (At least i don't have black hair everywhere any more)
Anyway good for you.
Photos?

6:15 PM, June 21, 2007  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

Damn I meant the profile photo on the ******** board.

6:16 PM, June 21, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, guys! Unfortunately, there won't be any photos, because Cashmere didn't make it. The vet had to euthanize her yesterday. It was very sad. I'll write a post about it this weekend.

6:32 PM, June 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad to hear that, Cat. :(

It was a beautiful thing that you did, though.

*hugs* :)

11:04 PM, June 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home