Thursday, April 26, 2007

Ironic, isn't it?

"Pro-lifers" strike in Austin:

Apr 26, 2007 5:31 pm US/Central
Device At Women's Clinic Was Potentially Deadly

Julie Simon
Reporting

(CBS 42) AUSTIN A suspicious package found in the parking lot of an
Austin women's clinic Wednesday was an explosive device, the FBI and
Austin Police Department said Thursday.

The device was found around 2 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot of the
Brookside Women's Medical Center at I-35 and Woodland (map).
Investigators say it was contained in what looked like a carry on
piece of luggage.

A bomb squad robot moved the package from the clinic parking lot to a
secure location. Once it was detonated, an explosive powder was
discovered.

"We did a field test to determine if it actually was an explosive and
that test came back positive," Austin Police Assistant Chief David
Carter said.

For fear of jeopardizing the investigation, authorities refused to
comment on what exactly the explosive device looked like. But they did
say it was configured in such a way, had it gone off, it would have
done serious bodily harm.

The fact that it was left at a women's clinic which, among other
things, performs abortions is not lost on police.

"We connect the dots," Carter said. "We are looking to find out who
did this and for what reason."

Carter went on to say he and the rest of his investigative team are
alerting other clinics around town about any potential risks.

The CEO of Planned Parenthood Ken Lambrecht says he just held a bomb
drill at his site earlier this week.

He's appalled by news of this explosive device.

"In a city like Austin where it is so safe, it is a sad day when this
kind of package and this kind of violence is evident in our
community," Lambrecht said.

Brookside Women's Medical Center issued the following statement Thursday:

"We are committed to the health and well-being of our patients. Our
office will continue to provide the same outstanding health care we've
been providing for the last 30 years."

There is a security camera here in the parking lot. Authorities hope
what's on the tape will help them in trying to figure out who is
responsible.

The Joint Terrorism Task Force is investigating because the
investigation involves an explosive device.

Abortion violence in the United States has claimed seven lives. Among
them were doctors, an off duty security guard, and clinic receptionists.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post segues nicely from your previous post about Seung-Hui Cho; IE there is obviously something mentally unstable about someone who would plant a bomb as an affirmation of their "recpect for the sanctity of life", and they are to be pitied as much as abhored.

This issue is perhaps one of the most polarizing and yet at the same time ambiguous subjects one can possibly confront. For me personally it causes a great dichotomy, and I find myself harking back to Orwell's term "doublethink". It really IS possible to hold two diametrically opposed viewpoints, and simultaneously believe them both to be true. I deplore abortion... I do consider it akin to murder, and yet I can't help feeling that some children are better off not born into the situation they would confront *had* they been born.... and yet again, how many of those would rise above it, persevere and perhaps become the next Albert Schweitzer or Mother Theresa.... around and around my thoughts circle like a dragon chasing it's tail.

I find no peace no matter where my thoughts lead me on this issue. I suppose the bottom line is that I'm *least comfortable* with this issue being legislated, while at the same time I would hope that abortion would only be chosen as a matter of last resort, and not one of "convenience". I also find most of the "passionate" supporters on both sides of the issue to be most distasteful, each with their own agenda, and each seemingly eager to cram their personal beliefs down the throat of the other.

As I write this I sense I've done an inadequate job of expressing my feelings on the matter, as I'm not even certain at times what they truly are, so perhaps I'll cease my rambling and trust that you, of all people I know will be able to sense the feelings I am (poorly) attempting to convey. :)

10:06 PM, April 28, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

My view (since I was 17 or 18) has always been that abortion should be safe, legal, and rare. The answer is not to outlaw abortion, but to minimize unwanted pregnancies in the first place. If the anti-choice crowd spent half their energy working to minimize unwanted pregnancies, the demand for abortion would plummet.

Sadly, most of the anti-choice groups are also opposed to most, if not all, forms of birth control, and they thereby perpetuate the cycle. As long as there are unwanted pregnancies, there will be abortion, whether it's legal or not. If it's illegal, women will die.

9:14 PM, April 29, 2007  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

Pounce says;
It's a woman's body she can do as she bloody well pleases. If some arsehole of a pro-life nut doesn't like that, then tough cookie.
I just wish that somebody would take the fight back to these extremists, make them understand that fear and terrorism cuts both ways. Maybe when they lose their fingers, lose their families and their own lives then maybe they will understand that violence isn’t how democracy works.
Something along the lines of this story;
http://www.davidmorrell.net/books/dsp.book.cfm?bid=11

4:14 PM, May 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home