The Lilith Fund 4th Annual Reproductive Equity Awards

That's where I spent my evening (with Cheryl, above). It was the first pro-choice event I've attended, and it was very inspiring. The Lilith Fund is an incredible organization, and I'm seriously considering volunteering as a hotline case manager for them.
I was really struck by the speeches about this evening's honoree, Dr. Lester Minto, who travels throughout the state of Texas providing abortions for low-income women. One of his daughters gave a speech and talked about what it was like to grow up as the daughter of an abortion provider in South Texas -- the constant taunts at school, being ostracized by both fellow students and teachers, having protesters outside her home, etc. It made me cry right there at the dinner. She also mentioned how her father often has to travel with a police escort. Dr. Minto is an amazing man, and absolutely deserving of the award he received this evening.


7 Comments:
you are quite photogenic ... looking lovely with your shopping bud!
Who's the chick on the right?
Thank you, Saija! Actually, I am far from photogenic. I shudder to look at photos of myself!
Pounce, I'm on the right, and my friend Cheryl is on the left.
Photogenic or not, saija is right... you look lovely!
Awwww, thanks, tokin! Cheryl and I both enjoyed getting all gussied up for the event. :)
Cat wrote;
"Pounce, I'm on the right, and my friend Cheryl is on the left."
As i said before, who's the chick on the right.
Credit where credit is due.
Why, thank you. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home