Sunday, February 25, 2007

My current music obsession

Christina Aguilera's Back to Basics has been in my CD player non-stop since I got it just over a week ago. I don't care what anybody says about her -- she is a phenomenally talented vocalist!

I was pleasantly surprised by her last CD, Stripped. I had never been interested in her music, as I'd written her off as just another bubblegum pop act after her song "Genie in a Bottle" hit the radio years ago (though I must admit, that song is catchy). However, someone told me about the song "Beautiful" on the Stripped CD and recommended that I listen to it, so I bought the CD, expecting to be underwhelmed. I'd never realized just how talented a vocalist she is, and I really liked most of the music on the CD, as well, which I can't say for some of the other vocalists of her caliber, such as Maraiah Carey and Celine Dion. Heck, I even bought Katharine McPhee's first CD because she also has an incredible voice, but after one listen, I decided the CD sucks. It is just silly bubblegum pop with cheesy lyrics, even if she does sing it beautifully.

I read recently that Christina has a four-octave range, and that she can hit notes in the whistle register, for crying out loud. She hits a note in her song "Soar" on the Stripped CD that has been referred to as "that dog-whistle note." It's at the 3:20 mark in the song, if anyone is interested.

Anyway, her voice is amazing, and the more I listen to Back to Basics, the more impressed I am by just how good it is. It's full of jazz, blues, and soul inspired songs and she belts them out flawlessly. Furthermore, her song "Oh, Mother" gives me chills and makes me cry.

4 Comments:

Blogger pounce_uk said...

Cat wrote;
“I don't care what anybody says about her -- she is a phenomenally talented vocalist!”

Never ever let anybody dictate to you what music you should listen to. If you like it, that’s your prerogative. But never ever apologise for what you like. I mean have you ever heard of anybody apologising for listening to ‘Rap’.
Moving on from there I still owe you a number of music CDs.
So keep an eye on your post box.
P.S
My current album is ‘Glam rock’ music from the 70s.

6:10 PM, February 25, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

"I mean have you ever heard of anybody apologising for listening to ‘Rap’."

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Good point.

"Moving on from there I still owe you a number of music CDs.
So keep an eye on your post box."

Woohooo! :)

6:26 AM, February 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep telling people Christina Aguilera is the real deal, but no one ever believed me! :)

4:25 PM, March 21, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

She so IS the real deal! I'm still not done playing "Back to Basics" on a daily basis. Christina rocks.

9:29 PM, March 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home