Monday, February 12, 2007

In Memory of Steve

Stephen Michael Elmshaeuser
March 8, 1969 ~ February 12, 2000


For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?

And what is to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?

Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.

And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.

And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.

~Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet


Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I and you are you,
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name,
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference in your tone,
wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow,
laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Pray smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effort,
without the trace of a shadow in it.
Life means all that it ever meant,
it is the same as it ever was.
There is unbroken continuity,
why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you
somewhere very near
just around the corner.
All is well.

~Henry Scott Holland 1847-1918
Canon of St Paul's Cathedral

3 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

i'm so sorry that the earthly goodbye came so early in Stephen's life ...

my heart goes out to you ...

6:42 PM, February 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are finding your way through what must be a tough time of year. I am thinking the best of thoughts for you.
Love you Cat
You are an amazing woman
and
I'm sure Steve is very proud of you and smiles when he thinks of you

7:06 PM, February 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sonnet:

Time does not bring relief; you all have lied
Who told me time would ease me of my pain!
I miss him in the weeping of the rain;
I want him at the shrinking of the tide;

The old snows melt from every mountain-side,
And last year's leaves are smoke in every lane;
But last year's bitter loving must remain
Heaped on my heart, and my old thoughts abide!

There are a hundred places where I fear
To go, – so with his memory they brim!
And entering with relief some quiet place
Where never fell his foot or shone his face

I say, "There is no memory of him here!"
And so stand stricken, so remembering him!

~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Words can never fill a hole in the heart, so I won't offer any... but you are in my thoughts.

10:15 PM, February 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home