I've got some whining to do.
I've been whining all afternoon to anyone who will listen, and I'm not about to stop now. Today sucked!
Firm B did indeed open for business at 1 p.m., and like a good little employee, I went in. My car was encased in a half-inch thick sheet of solid ice when I left the house, so I turned on the engine, blasted the defroster, and sat in the car listening to music for ten or fifteen minutes. Then I grabbed my little scraper thingie and went to work, hoping the heat had loosened the ice enough for me to finish the job. I wasn't wearing gloves (I live in Texas, for crying out loud. I don't even own a pair of gloves!), and my hand kept slipping and scraping on the ice. By the time I was done, my knuckles were all bloody and my hand looked like I'd been karate-punching a brick wall.
I got on the road and within a few blocks, I noticed what appeared to be a large crack going all the way across the bottom of my windshield. I was hoping it was just some ice I'd missed, but no. It really *is* a large crack in the windshield. Dammit.
I entered the freeway with much trepidation, and with good reason. There were still many very icy patches, and at one point I could feel the car skidding out of control. Fortunately, I was only going about 15 miles per hour at the time, and nothing bad happened.
I parked safely in the parking garage and went inside, only to find that hardly anyone else had actually bothered to come in. One of the few people who was there asked if I'd parked in the garage and then informed me that, while you could get into the parking garage, you could not get back out again, because the exit was closed due to ice on the (very steep) ramp. My head just about exploded at this news.
I cleaned up my bloody knuckles and got to work, bitching the entire time.
Fortunately, by the time I left at about 5:45, they had reopened the parking garage exit after de-icing the ramp, so at least I was able to get home without calling a cab or tempting fate by driving the wrong way through the garage and going out the entrance.
I got home safe and sound, although still cranky. It's supposed to freeze again overnight, but then warm up into the 40s tomorrow. Thank GOD.
Firm B did indeed open for business at 1 p.m., and like a good little employee, I went in. My car was encased in a half-inch thick sheet of solid ice when I left the house, so I turned on the engine, blasted the defroster, and sat in the car listening to music for ten or fifteen minutes. Then I grabbed my little scraper thingie and went to work, hoping the heat had loosened the ice enough for me to finish the job. I wasn't wearing gloves (I live in Texas, for crying out loud. I don't even own a pair of gloves!), and my hand kept slipping and scraping on the ice. By the time I was done, my knuckles were all bloody and my hand looked like I'd been karate-punching a brick wall.
I got on the road and within a few blocks, I noticed what appeared to be a large crack going all the way across the bottom of my windshield. I was hoping it was just some ice I'd missed, but no. It really *is* a large crack in the windshield. Dammit.
I entered the freeway with much trepidation, and with good reason. There were still many very icy patches, and at one point I could feel the car skidding out of control. Fortunately, I was only going about 15 miles per hour at the time, and nothing bad happened.
I parked safely in the parking garage and went inside, only to find that hardly anyone else had actually bothered to come in. One of the few people who was there asked if I'd parked in the garage and then informed me that, while you could get into the parking garage, you could not get back out again, because the exit was closed due to ice on the (very steep) ramp. My head just about exploded at this news.
I cleaned up my bloody knuckles and got to work, bitching the entire time.
Fortunately, by the time I left at about 5:45, they had reopened the parking garage exit after de-icing the ramp, so at least I was able to get home without calling a cab or tempting fate by driving the wrong way through the garage and going out the entrance.
I got home safe and sound, although still cranky. It's supposed to freeze again overnight, but then warm up into the 40s tomorrow. Thank GOD.


7 Comments:
Ugh! Sorry to hear about your sucky day, but I'm glad you're home safe & sound! I suggest you take the day off tomorrow. :)
It's been freakishly warm here in NJ this winter up until yesterday, when it got cold with a vengeance... still no snow or ice yet (amen) but I think we're gonna get some tomorrow night.
I have the heat turned up & Sheba is camped out in her favorite spot in front of the heat vent w/ her face plastered up against it. If there was no grate I think she'd crawl down the duct into the furnace. LMAO!
I hope you and Achilles are comfy and warm and having a nice relaxing evening!
Arooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
well i got caught up on your ice stories ... sheesh ... i was thinking about you yesterday & today as i watched the news ... ice is definitely NO FUN ... not much you can do to escape the hazards of skinned knuckles and metal or glass breaking!!! :o(
do i need to start knitting mitts for ya? :o)
hope tomorrow is a totally thawed out day!!!! (((hugs)))) to keep you warm ...
Achilles is loving the icy weather! He keeps demanding to go outside, and when he comes back in, he's got ice all over his fur. LOL
I'm seriously thinking about making tomorrow a sick day, but knowing me, I'll probably go in.
I hope you guys don't get iced in! Snow is good. Ice is bad. I'm sure Achilles would snuggle up with Sheba and keep her warm if he could! :)
Aroooooooooroooooooooooooroooooooooo!
LOL, Saija, I sure could have used some mittens today! :) I'm so bummed about my windshield. I've never had a cracked windshield before, but I can only assume it's going to be a real pain to get it fixed. Ugh.
I think by midday tomorrow we'll be thawing out, thank goodness!
**hugs** back at ya! :)
i've had cracked windshields and it can be a pain because you'll be without wheels for a day ... :o(
our insurance covered it, course there is that deductible!
The inconvenience of being without a car for the day bugs me more than the expense. I found a place that says they will come to my office and replace the windshield right there in the parking garage at work, which would be awesome. I need to check them out first and make sure they actually do good work, but I hope they do!
i hated being without wheels too! no fun!!!
but that would be cool if they replaced it while you worked!
Post a Comment
<< Home