Sunday, July 01, 2007

Well, I'll be darned.

I found my first gray hair on my 20th birthday. By the time I was 30, I had enough gray that I had to start coloring my hair regularly to cover it up. I never really thought much about it, but I just read an article which says that "women who start going gray before the age of 30 should be checked for a variety of auto-immune disorders...juvenile (Type 1) diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, colitis and hypothyroidism are all conditions that may track with premature graying." Who knew?

7 Comments:

Blogger pounce_uk said...

For some strange reason I went straight to white.(no grays on me)
Mind you I has to hit 45 first.
(still 45)

1:53 PM, July 01, 2007  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

Oh yes forgot to mention. Only a few at that. But no hair dye for me. Mind you anybody wish to explain just why i have so many hairs growing out of my nose,eyes, eyebrows?

1:55 PM, July 01, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Yeah, when I say I have a lot of gray, I really mean white. I'm not anywhere near completely white, but I'd say I'm maybe 20% there, and that 20% really sticks out against my dark hair, which is why I color it. I think the excess eyebrow/nose/ear hair happens to a lot of men as they get past 40. Or maybe you are just turning into Pounce. :)

4:14 PM, July 01, 2007  
Blogger Saija said...

well sheesh ... not only can the gray hair be annoying, here they want to scare you with medical worries!

one of my girlfriends was completely gray at 25 ... and on some it can look quite appealing ... look at emmy lou harris ... maybe gray would be nice on you? blended with streaks?

9:30 PM, July 05, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Well, in my case this article just explained for me why I had so much gray so young. If I'd known earlier that early gray was related to RA, though, I may have been diagnosed sooner. I had RA symptoms as early as 1998 or so but didn't get diagnosed until 2003.

10:27 AM, July 08, 2007  
Blogger southfield_2001 said...

I've had grey hair since the day I had kids...

12:47 AM, July 10, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Now that, I can believe, Southie. :)

11:03 PM, July 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home