New Year's Resolutions
Last year, my only resolution was to read more books than I'd read the year before. I set a goal of twelve books for the year, and I managed to surpass it by one. Yay! Also, two of the books I read were in the 1,000-page range. Here's the list of what I read this past year:
1. Bel-Ami (Guy de Maupassant)
2. To the Lighthouse (Virginia Woolf)
3. Life and Fate (Vasily Grossman)
4. Madame Bovary (Gustave Flaubert)
5. A Woman in Charge (Carl Bernstein)
6. Eugene Onegin (Alexander Pushkin)
7. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
8. Barchester Towers (Anthony Trollope)
9. The Eternal Husband and Other Stories (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
10. Infinite Jest (David Foster Wallace)
11. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (David Sedaris)
12. Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail (Malika Oufkir and Michele Fitoussi)
13. Collected Sonnets of Edna St. Vincent Millay
Last night I started reading Flannery O'Connor: The Complete Stories. That one will go on next year's list, though, since I won't finish it before the new year begins.
Now for my 2009 resolutions. Actually, I think I will make each one a separate post. Resolution number one is to once again read at least twelve books. Next on the list after I finish the Flannery O'Connor stories is David Foster Wallace's A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.
1. Bel-Ami (Guy de Maupassant)
2. To the Lighthouse (Virginia Woolf)
3. Life and Fate (Vasily Grossman)
4. Madame Bovary (Gustave Flaubert)
5. A Woman in Charge (Carl Bernstein)
6. Eugene Onegin (Alexander Pushkin)
7. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
8. Barchester Towers (Anthony Trollope)
9. The Eternal Husband and Other Stories (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
10. Infinite Jest (David Foster Wallace)
11. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (David Sedaris)
12. Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail (Malika Oufkir and Michele Fitoussi)
13. Collected Sonnets of Edna St. Vincent Millay
Last night I started reading Flannery O'Connor: The Complete Stories. That one will go on next year's list, though, since I won't finish it before the new year begins.
Now for my 2009 resolutions. Actually, I think I will make each one a separate post. Resolution number one is to once again read at least twelve books. Next on the list after I finish the Flannery O'Connor stories is David Foster Wallace's A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home