On Sept 11th 2001. I was sat at my desk at work when the Col (who was surfing on his lappy on my landline) stated that a plane had crashed into the World trade centre. I commented to Loz (the other PSI for the regiment) that I had never heard of the WTC. A few hours later the Boss mentioned that another plane has hit the other WTC. Personally at the time I didn’t give a damn as I didn’t know just what the WTC where. As I don’t watch much TV, I didn’t grasp the enormity of 9/11 until a few days later as I was driving into work and the news was playing the recorded phone calls of those poor people who were trapped in the upper reaches of those buildings. My heart cried out for those poor people. And as I displayed today at the national arboretum am not one to express sentimental sentiments. (A girl was taken off the marching contingent and given to me to employ. I told her she marched like a bag of shite and she took offence. A Warrant officer who tried to defend her was told by myself that if he didn’t shut the fuck up he would be picking himself off the floor. To his credit he did say that when he got off the floor. But I soon explained that he wouldn’t (Kind of helps me being such an evil bastard.) Anyway 9/11 opened the eyes of the world to radical Islam. About how evil it is and how it plays the victim card in which to excuse it s murderous excesses. I for one will never forget the sacrifices that the US of A has made in making this world a safer place. Let’s be honest here. Appeasement to anybody doesn’t save lives. And every dead terrorist is one less terrorist.
Thanks, Saija! Austin ended up getting nothing more than some breezy weather today. We didn't even get a drop of rain until just about an hour ago, when it rained pretty steadily for about 45 minutes. My brother in Houston and his family fared pretty well in the storm. They lost power for about 14 hours, had some gutter and shingle damage, and some of their banana trees were uprooted and ended up in their swimming pool. They didn't have any flood damage -- he said that the water was coming up over the curb this morning until he and some of his neighbors went out and cleared the debris that was blocking the drains. I was relieved to hear that he was all right!
Pounce, I heard the news on 9/11 on the radio as I was driving to work. At first I didn't understand the enormity of the situation, either, because I didn't realize how enormous the WTC was and how many people were at risk. The first plane had already hit before I turned on the radio; the second one hit shortly after I started my drive, and at that point I knew that it was a terrorist attack. The Pentagon was hit just as I was pulling into the parking garage, so I ran into the office to tell my boss what was going on. We turned on the tv in the conference room and watched the towers fall. I'll never forget it as long as I live.
It sure was! A friend of mine in Houston was without power until this morning, and many, many others are still without. They say it will be weeks before power is restored to everybody. The devastation closer to the coast is just unreal. My heart goes out to the people and animals who are stranded in the coastal areas.
6 Comments:
what a photo ...
and i hope you are doing ok with all that weather heading to Texas ... i know you are inland, but still!!!!
just catching up on your posts ... and sending big hugs your way! your blog bud from the prairies ...
On Sept 11th 2001. I was sat at my desk at work when the Col (who was surfing on his lappy on my landline) stated that a plane had crashed into the World trade centre. I commented to Loz (the other PSI for the regiment) that I had never heard of the WTC. A few hours later the Boss mentioned that another plane has hit the other WTC. Personally at the time I didn’t give a damn as I didn’t know just what the WTC where.
As I don’t watch much TV, I didn’t grasp the enormity of 9/11 until a few days later as I was driving into work and the news was playing the recorded phone calls of those poor people who were trapped in the upper reaches of those buildings. My heart cried out for those poor people. And as I displayed today at the national arboretum am not one to express sentimental sentiments. (A girl was taken off the marching contingent and given to me to employ. I told her she marched like a bag of shite and she took offence. A Warrant officer who tried to defend her was told by myself that if he didn’t shut the fuck up he would be picking himself off the floor. To his credit he did say that when he got off the floor. But I soon explained that he wouldn’t (Kind of helps me being such an evil bastard.)
Anyway 9/11 opened the eyes of the world to radical Islam. About how evil it is and how it plays the victim card in which to excuse it s murderous excesses.
I for one will never forget the sacrifices that the US of A has made in making this world a safer place. Let’s be honest here. Appeasement to anybody doesn’t save lives. And every dead terrorist is one less terrorist.
Thanks, Saija! Austin ended up getting nothing more than some breezy weather today. We didn't even get a drop of rain until just about an hour ago, when it rained pretty steadily for about 45 minutes. My brother in Houston and his family fared pretty well in the storm. They lost power for about 14 hours, had some gutter and shingle damage, and some of their banana trees were uprooted and ended up in their swimming pool. They didn't have any flood damage -- he said that the water was coming up over the curb this morning until he and some of his neighbors went out and cleared the debris that was blocking the drains. I was relieved to hear that he was all right!
**hugs** to you and Leo!
Pounce, I heard the news on 9/11 on the radio as I was driving to work. At first I didn't understand the enormity of the situation, either, because I didn't realize how enormous the WTC was and how many people were at risk. The first plane had already hit before I turned on the radio; the second one hit shortly after I started my drive, and at that point I knew that it was a terrorist attack. The Pentagon was hit just as I was pulling into the parking garage, so I ran into the office to tell my boss what was going on. We turned on the tv in the conference room and watched the towers fall. I'll never forget it as long as I live.
and they say that houston still has 2 mill without power?
wow ...
that was a bad storm!
It sure was! A friend of mine in Houston was without power until this morning, and many, many others are still without. They say it will be weeks before power is restored to everybody. The devastation closer to the coast is just unreal. My heart goes out to the people and animals who are stranded in the coastal areas.
Post a Comment
<< Home