Kismet
First of all, I love my new job. The people are all really nice and yet very professional, my office is awesome, and I'm so happy to be back doing work I actually enjoy. And back in my old building, no less -- it feels like home.
Now, check this out: I was chatting with one of the other legal assistants this morning, and I commented that I liked her pen. She said she liked it because it was fat and therefore easy to write with, and I said, "Yeah, I can't write with skinny pens because I have arthritis." She looked surprised and said, "Rheumatoid?" I said yes, and she said, "Me, too." Turns out we both have fibromyalgia, as well.
I don't know how old she is, but she can't possibly be any older than I am and I would guess that she's a few years younger. I've never before met anyone my age or younger who has RA. So, of course we started talking and it was so nice to talk with someone who knows exactly what I'm going through. She was all like, "My shoulders.." and I said, "I KNOW!!" She has had a really rough time with her RA, as well. We were both really excited about having a co-worker who would understand and empathize. We'll be able to vent to each other, offer advice, etc.
We both basically said, "I'm so sorry you have it, but I'm so glad to have someone to talk to about it!"
I think there's definitely a reason why I ended up with this new job.
Now, check this out: I was chatting with one of the other legal assistants this morning, and I commented that I liked her pen. She said she liked it because it was fat and therefore easy to write with, and I said, "Yeah, I can't write with skinny pens because I have arthritis." She looked surprised and said, "Rheumatoid?" I said yes, and she said, "Me, too." Turns out we both have fibromyalgia, as well.
I don't know how old she is, but she can't possibly be any older than I am and I would guess that she's a few years younger. I've never before met anyone my age or younger who has RA. So, of course we started talking and it was so nice to talk with someone who knows exactly what I'm going through. She was all like, "My shoulders.." and I said, "I KNOW!!" She has had a really rough time with her RA, as well. We were both really excited about having a co-worker who would understand and empathize. We'll be able to vent to each other, offer advice, etc.
We both basically said, "I'm so sorry you have it, but I'm so glad to have someone to talk to about it!"
I think there's definitely a reason why I ended up with this new job.


6 Comments:
What I see when i visit your site;
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6260/image1rd3.jpg
Thanks, Pounce! I guess the Animal Rescue Site button did disappear. That's weird.
Hey you how's Punkin doing?
Punkin is doing great! He is crashed out on my desk as I type this. He's totally back to his old, obnoxious self. Last night he woke me up by yanking all of my CDs off the shelf and then frolicking on them all over the floor. I think that's why he's resting now -- so he can get into some more mischief overnight.
hey that is so cool that you are working with someone with the same chronic type problems! not that i want either of you to have them - but i know what you mean about someone "getting it", the challenges, almost without words!
hope things are still going well and that your flare has settled!!!!!
It really is cool, Saija -- I feel so bad for her but it is so nice to have someone who completely understands. When one of us mentions a symptom we're experiencing, the other one immediately says, "Oh, I know exactly what you mean!" Plus, we're sharing tips with each other on how to make life easier -- things we've discovered along the way. It's really nice to be able to share stuff like that with someone.
Post a Comment
<< Home