Monday, June 30, 2008

Okay, I spoke too soon.

This flare-up really sucks. It got 100% worse today. My feet are so grotesquely swollen that I had to wear flip-flops to work, and everyone who happened to glance at my feet was all like, "Oh, my God. What happened to your feet?" My hands are so swollen that I had to soap up my rings to get them off, and it still wasn't easy, but I was afraid if I didn't get them off I'd end up in the ER having them cut off of my fingers after they started cutting off my circulation.

Walking is so excruciatingly painful that I am lurching around like one of those horror movie zombies. My hands hurt so much that every time I have to touch anything, it causes pain. I can barely turn a doorknob or a faucet.

And pretty much every single joint in my body has decided to join the party: ankles, knees, hips, hands, feet, elbows, wrists, back, neck, and yes, shoulders now, too. I mean, absolutely everything hurts. Even typing is starting to hurt, although it's still manageable, obviously (though I'm having to backspace an awful lot to fix typos).

I am hoping that this is maybe just a reaction to stress about starting a new job tomorrow. I don't feel stressed, but maybe I am subconsciously anxious and my body is reacting. I know stress can trigger an RA flare-up. What really sucks, though, is that I have to walk into my new job like this tomorrow if I don't improve overnight. How embarrassing.

"Hi, I'm here for my first day at work. Try not to look at my freakishly swollen feet or hands, or the way I'm lurching around like a drunken zombie and wincing in pain every time I have to move. I feel fine, really."

Ugh.

4 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

:o(

oh, Catherine ... i'd hug you, but that would probably hurt too, eh ...

i pray this flare will SOON pass!

7:43 PM, July 05, 2008  
Blogger Catherine said...

Ha, it really would hurt, but I'd appreciate it anyway. :) I'm really, really ready to stop hurting. It's just exhausting being in pain constantly. I'm hoping that it will start to die down in a day or two...

10:04 PM, July 05, 2008  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

hey you just bought some ginger tea have you tried it?
"Inflammation

In addition to providing relief from nausea and vomiting, ginger extract has long been used in traditional medical practices to decrease inflammation. In fact, many health care professionals today use ginger to help treat health problems associated with inflammation, such as arthritis and ulcerative colitis. In a study of 261 people with osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee, those who received a ginger extract twice daily experienced less pain and required fewer pain-killing medications compared to those who received placebo. Although there have also been a few other studies of the benefit of ginger for arthritis, one trial found that the herb was no more effective than ibuprofen (a medication frequently used to treat OA) or placebo in reducing symptoms of OA."


To be honest I only bought it to have a change from tea and coffee. But I like it.

4:36 PM, July 06, 2008  
Blogger Catherine said...

That's some great info, Pounce! I've used ginger in the past for stomach upset, but had no idea it worked for inflammation and arthritis. And ginger tea sounds delicious. I will give it a try. Thanks!

9:47 PM, July 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home