Quick foot update
I got my stitches out today -- yay!! One of the things I hate most about having orthopedic surgery is having to shower with a plastic bag over the extremity in question until the stitches come out. Now I'm done with that part of it, so I'm very happy.
Everything looks good -- my foot is still a little bit swollen and bruised from the surgery, but it is healing nicely and I don't need any further follow-up care unless something goes wrong. I have to wear the ugly post-op shoe for at least another week or so, but I might cheat on that if I find that I can wear my sweet new Ecco tennis shoes without pain. My surgeon is pretty laid back about this stuff, plus he knows I'm not going to listen to him anyway.
One thing I thought was funny was that when the doctor went out to talk to my mom while I was waking up after surgery, he told her, "Yeah, the nerve was a little inflamed, so we took it out..." Today at the post-op visit, he was like, "Man, you had a giant neuroma! I mean sometimes we're not sure if a neuroma is what was causing the patient's pain once we get in there and look at that nerve, but in your case it was obvious." It was nice of him to sugar-coat things for my mom, I thought.
Anyway, I am back at work full time and I've even been able to take Achilles for his evening walk the past two days (albeit at a slower pace than usual), so everything is proceeding nicely.
Everything looks good -- my foot is still a little bit swollen and bruised from the surgery, but it is healing nicely and I don't need any further follow-up care unless something goes wrong. I have to wear the ugly post-op shoe for at least another week or so, but I might cheat on that if I find that I can wear my sweet new Ecco tennis shoes without pain. My surgeon is pretty laid back about this stuff, plus he knows I'm not going to listen to him anyway.
One thing I thought was funny was that when the doctor went out to talk to my mom while I was waking up after surgery, he told her, "Yeah, the nerve was a little inflamed, so we took it out..." Today at the post-op visit, he was like, "Man, you had a giant neuroma! I mean sometimes we're not sure if a neuroma is what was causing the patient's pain once we get in there and look at that nerve, but in your case it was obvious." It was nice of him to sugar-coat things for my mom, I thought.
Anyway, I am back at work full time and I've even been able to take Achilles for his evening walk the past two days (albeit at a slower pace than usual), so everything is proceeding nicely.


4 Comments:
Hey you.
Glad to see that you are back on your feet. (pun intended)
Just read this on the BBC you might like it;
'I couldn't pick up my bow to play'
By Jane Elliott
Health reporter, BBC News
Fenella Barton is a highly successful international violinist, but just a couple of years ago her hands were so crippled with arthritis that she sometimes could not lift her bow to play.
She worried she might have to stop playing and had to cancel some concerts.
Over a two-year-period the 44-year-old musician's symptoms grew worse, until finally a fellow musician urged her to get treatment in the US which proved highly successful.
Next month chamber musician and recitalist Fenella takes to the stage, with pianist Simone Dinnerstein, at the Wigmore Hall, London, to raise funds to help others suffering with arthritis.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7377761.stm
Thanks, Pounce! I can relate to every symptom she mentions. She is very lucky that six months on methotrexate was all she needed -- I hope she stays in remission. I've been on methotrexate for five years and any time I've tried to stop taking it, the results have been disastrous -- the symptoms return with a vengeance and it's worse every time.
i hope the healing continues ... and that you are enjoying the everyday normal routines of life!
big ((hugs))
Post a Comment
<< Home