Saturday, April 05, 2008

Punkin Update

On Tuesday morning, I noticed that Punkin's face looked very swollen and puffy, and that the skin around his eyes and ears was bright pink and his ears were all flaky inside. I decided not to give him his thyroid medication that morning and I called the vet when I got to work to ask if he might be allergic to the medication. She didn't think so, but asked me to bring him in so she could have a look. Sure enough, he is allergic to the medication. The vet said that he had a very rare reaction to it, seen in only about 1% of cats who take it.

Needless to say, he can't take the medication any more, so now he is going to have to have a thyroidectomy. (Without treatment, he would die from the hyperthyroidism in eight or nine months of slowly starving to death.) His surgery was supposed to happen yesterday, but due to a brief power outage at the animal hospital and then a dog who had some complications during surgery, they called me to reschedule. After boarding Punkin at the vet Thursday night and then worrying about him all morning yesterday, I am not looking forward to doing it all over again, but his surgery is now rescheduled for next Friday. Poor thing had already been prepped for surgery and they had started to put him under when they decided they needed to reschedule. He has no idea what is going on. I feel so bad for him. But he was very happy to be home last night, and I was thrilled to have him back. He always sleeps on my pillow with me at night, and I really, really missed him Thursday night.

2 Comments:

Blogger pounce_uk said...

Poor kitty.
Here's to a succesful op and Punkin back home real soon. I await your next post.

9:00 PM, April 05, 2008  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, Pounce! I will keep you posted. Ha ha, "posted." No pun intended. :)

10:19 PM, April 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home