Shortest unemployment in history?
Well, the past week has certainly been interesting! Last Monday was my last day at the big firm, and I worked Tuesday through Thursday at the weird firm before the long weekend.
I slept very poorly last night, partly due to the RA pain which kept waking me up and made it impossible to get comfortable, and partly due to the dreams I was having about going to work today at the freak show. When I woke up this morning, I decided I could not possibly manage to drag myself back to that place. This is totally uncharacteristic of me, because normally I would just suck on it and stay at a bad job for awhile because it was my decision to take the job in the first place, and I'd feel guilty about quitting. But I think the RA pain pushed me over the edge, and I emailed my resignation at about 7:30 a.m. I pleaded a worsening chronic health issue, which is true, and said that I would be unable to work for awhile and that the best thing would be for me to resign so they could fill the spot with someone else. Okay, that part wasn't totally true -- I think it would be best if I did stop working for awhile so that I can focus on getting the RA under control, but I still can work, even though it's getting more and more difficult.
In any event, at 10:30 I got a phone call from the attorney I'd interviewed with a couple of months ago, and she was thrilled to hear that I was still available. The girl she'd hired had apparently fudged a bit on her experience and did not work out. The attorney said she should have hired me in the first place and was glad I was still interested in the job. So, long story short, I met with her at 2:00 p.m., got a tour of the office, met everyone, and will start there on Wednesday morning. Yay!!
The only drawback is that they don't pay much and I will be taking an enormous pay cut -- more than 25%. But after touring the office and meeting everyone, I can tell it is going to be a great place to work and I'll be very happy there. Plus, I get my very own windowed office, and it is really nice!
Now I just hope the RA thing starts to settle down. I see my rheumatologist next on July 21, but I may try to move that appointment up if I can. I am hoping that a simple med change will put an end to these horrible flare-ups -- otherwise I really will be rendered unable to work in the near future.
In any event, it's been about the weirdest week of my life (I haven't even mentioned the veterinary emergency from Saturday yet -- next post, maybe), but I am happy with the way it has all worked out.
I slept very poorly last night, partly due to the RA pain which kept waking me up and made it impossible to get comfortable, and partly due to the dreams I was having about going to work today at the freak show. When I woke up this morning, I decided I could not possibly manage to drag myself back to that place. This is totally uncharacteristic of me, because normally I would just suck on it and stay at a bad job for awhile because it was my decision to take the job in the first place, and I'd feel guilty about quitting. But I think the RA pain pushed me over the edge, and I emailed my resignation at about 7:30 a.m. I pleaded a worsening chronic health issue, which is true, and said that I would be unable to work for awhile and that the best thing would be for me to resign so they could fill the spot with someone else. Okay, that part wasn't totally true -- I think it would be best if I did stop working for awhile so that I can focus on getting the RA under control, but I still can work, even though it's getting more and more difficult.
In any event, at 10:30 I got a phone call from the attorney I'd interviewed with a couple of months ago, and she was thrilled to hear that I was still available. The girl she'd hired had apparently fudged a bit on her experience and did not work out. The attorney said she should have hired me in the first place and was glad I was still interested in the job. So, long story short, I met with her at 2:00 p.m., got a tour of the office, met everyone, and will start there on Wednesday morning. Yay!!
The only drawback is that they don't pay much and I will be taking an enormous pay cut -- more than 25%. But after touring the office and meeting everyone, I can tell it is going to be a great place to work and I'll be very happy there. Plus, I get my very own windowed office, and it is really nice!
Now I just hope the RA thing starts to settle down. I see my rheumatologist next on July 21, but I may try to move that appointment up if I can. I am hoping that a simple med change will put an end to these horrible flare-ups -- otherwise I really will be rendered unable to work in the near future.
In any event, it's been about the weirdest week of my life (I haven't even mentioned the veterinary emergency from Saturday yet -- next post, maybe), but I am happy with the way it has all worked out.


4 Comments:
Wahoo!!!
Exactly. :)
i'm glad you got out of the other place in a hurry!
i agree, you never know with a small place - it could be FAB or it could be ICKY ...
hope this other place fits you like a glove and that you feel much better too!!!!!
Thanks, Saija! I am loving it so far. I am just so happy. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home