Sunday, December 28, 2008

Resolution No. Three: Take Better Care of Myself

You know, I really enjoy cooking, but I rarely do so these days because I'm usually dining alone and it just seems like too much trouble to make a real meal for one. Consequently, I grab whatever is convenient, which usually means it has little nutritional value. For example, on Friday I ate movie theater popcorn and Milk Duds, and then later a PB&J sandwich. That was it for the entire day. Today I had some pomegranate Greek yogurt and then later two scrambled eggs with cheese on toast and a thin slice of Miles of Chocolate. A bit better than Friday, but still. This is not an acceptable way to eat. I resolve to pay more attention to what I'm eating and to take the extra bit of effort to make real meals for myself, with veggies and fruits and proteins and generally fresh foods. I will go to Central Market and Whole Foods more often and get things I will actually eat that are good for me.

I also resolve to get back to riding my stationary bike regularly. I haven't ridden it in the past few months because I've been having so many bad RA flare-ups this year, but I really need to get back on it as often as I possibly can.

I also resolve to get at least seven hours of sleep per night, preferably eight.

It's important for all of us to take good care of ourselves, but even more important for those of us who are dealing with chronic illnesses. Of course, the RA is a handy excuse to be lazy, not eat right, and not exercise, but it is really important for me to make the extra effort to be as healthy as I can be.

6 Comments:

Blogger pounce_uk said...

Milk Duds?????

PB&J sandwich????

OK help me here,Its early 0520hrs.
The cute redhead I spent the night with wanted out so I came downstairs opened the window and off he leaped to his proper home next door via the garden fence.
No doubt he'll be sat on the fence later meowing to be let in.

P.S
If you don't start eating proper I'll send the hit squad to make sure you do.

11:27 PM, December 28, 2008  
Blogger Catherine said...

Milk Duds and movie theater popcorn are a match made in heaven. I get them every time I go to the theater. Fortunately, I go to the theater only once or twice a year.

http://tinyurl.com/yh5ldn

I can't believe PB&J actually has a Wikipedia page, but it does: http://tinyurl.com/9ef4f7

Hahahahaha! It's my old standby when I'm hungry but lazy.

Your redheaded friend sounds like the one I call the Freeloader around here. He's a big, fat orange tabby with a collar, so obviously he has a home; yet he is always coming across the street to eat the kibble I put out for the feral kitties. It must be like going out to eat for him.

By the way, thank you for the beautiful Christmas card! And I promise to start eating proper. :)

7:12 PM, December 29, 2008  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

Ah I think I have seen these at the PX.

Glad you received the card,
(A picture of the card with doggie and kittie would go down well)

Ah the Red head. CAroline my Neighbour adopted two beautiful kitties. Both pure Ginger (Bobby and tommy) and both like to share spend the night with me. (However I get the impression they don't get on) anyway I actually prefer the quieter of the two. Who is very lkoving and more than happy to sit on my chest at 5am in which to tell me its time to wake up.
The other isn't that happy with me as I've just dropped a tube of one spot on his neck.
I got bit by something so I've vacumed, washed everything and sprayed the hose with flea killer.

So you like chocolate do you. watch the letter box.

2:45 PM, December 31, 2008  
Blogger Catherine said...

Excellent! I love chocolate.

I will try to get Achilles and at least one of the kitties to sit still enough for a picture with the card. With any luck, they won't try to eat it. :)

My kitties hate that stuff, too. They always end up looking like they have little kitty mohawks. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it on them in a couple of years now.

8:30 PM, December 31, 2008  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

Ah my little Ginger friend says hello. This is 'Tommy' very very loving and like nothing more than to rub noses for hours on end.
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/9007/dsc00396eg0.jpg

12:18 PM, January 11, 2009  
Blogger Catherine said...

Awwwwwww! What a beautiful kitty! I just want to snuggle up with him. :)

11:07 PM, January 12, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home