Sunday, December 28, 2008

Resolution No. Two: Seriously, Get Rid of the Clutter

As I have mentioned previously on this blog, I am a world-champion pack rat. Consequently, my house is absolutely crammed full of crap that I don't need, don't use, and don't even particularly want.

I've been making some progress on this over the past few months, so my resolution for the new year is to continue working on it in two ways: first, get rid of the clutter I already have. If I'm not using something, I will throw it out, give it away, or sell it in a yard sale. I will also organize the stuff I do use and want to keep. I resolve to dedicate at least two hours each week to de-cluttering and organizing my house. Second, stop buying things that I don't need and won't use. I resolve to really think about each new purchase I make next year. Will I really use it, or will it just sit around taking up space and collecting dust? If it's going to be the latter, then it needs to stay in the store no matter how pretty it is or how cool it seems at the time.

It's amazing how much energy it takes just to maintain one's possessions. I really want to be surrounded by only the things that I actually use and enjoy. A clean, uncluttered space is just so much nicer and more soothing to look at. Clutter equals stress, and who needs more of that?

2 Comments:

Blogger pounce_uk said...

One good thing about being in the army is that every 2-3 years I moved. Everything you have has to be packed away. So I got into the habit of clearing out all the dross in my life. Even now I have a clear out and give things away either to charity or to friends.

11:29 PM, December 28, 2008  
Blogger Catherine said...

That is awesome. I haven't moved in almost 14 years now, hence all of the clutter. But I've been slowly working at getting rid of it over the past few months, and I've made some progress. I have a long way to go, but I'm getting there. :)

7:04 PM, December 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home