The Rule of Three
I'm feeling a little bit melancholy after the Rule of Three reared its ugly head this week.
First, Ed McMahon -- my father watched The Tonight Show religiously when I was growing up. I'd usually stay up at least for the monologue, so I have a lot of memories of sitting in the living room listening to Ed McMahon do his "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!" thing every night.
Then Farrah Fawcett -- I remember watching Charlie's Angels with my brothers when we were kids. I wanted to be one of the Angels, although my favorite was always Jaclyn Smith. But who could forget Farrah's hair? All the girls in school wanted Farrah Fawcett hair.
And finally, Michael Jackson -- I was never a fan of his music, but he dominated the radio and MTV when I was in junior high and high school. It's hard to remember those days without remembering his videos on MTV, his dance moves, his influence on 80s fashions (which were horribly bad, but still), his songs on the radio, etc.
I can't say I was particularly a big fan of any of them, yet these three people are inextricably woven into my childhood memories, so it was sad to see them go all in one week like that. May they rest in peace.
First, Ed McMahon -- my father watched The Tonight Show religiously when I was growing up. I'd usually stay up at least for the monologue, so I have a lot of memories of sitting in the living room listening to Ed McMahon do his "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!" thing every night.
Then Farrah Fawcett -- I remember watching Charlie's Angels with my brothers when we were kids. I wanted to be one of the Angels, although my favorite was always Jaclyn Smith. But who could forget Farrah's hair? All the girls in school wanted Farrah Fawcett hair.
And finally, Michael Jackson -- I was never a fan of his music, but he dominated the radio and MTV when I was in junior high and high school. It's hard to remember those days without remembering his videos on MTV, his dance moves, his influence on 80s fashions (which were horribly bad, but still), his songs on the radio, etc.
I can't say I was particularly a big fan of any of them, yet these three people are inextricably woven into my childhood memories, so it was sad to see them go all in one week like that. May they rest in peace.


2 Comments:
yes, it has been a time of saying goodbyes ...
and i was quite surprised with all the coverage for mj ... yes, he was an excellent performer - and broke some racial barriers of his day ... yet, it realy seemed like a whole lot of coverage ...
always makes one think of their own mortality, doesn't it?
The coverage really was excessive. I understand he was wildly popular back in the day, but still, three weeks of nonstop coverage was a bit overkill, I think. It's funny what passes for major news these days.
I guess that's part of the melancholy when you hear of celebrities dying, especially ones from your childhood -- it does remind you of your own mortality.
I hope you and Leo are well! I've had a busy few weekends but hope to actually catch up a bit on blogging this weekend!
Post a Comment
<< Home