Why I prefer to shop online
Cheryl and I went to the mall yesterday, and I swear I thought I was going to suffocate before we got out of there. What is the deal with salespeople getting all up in your face the entire time you're in a store?
At Nordstrom, at least three people asked if they could start a fitting room for me. I kept saying, "No, thank you." One lady tried to argue with me. "You're not going to try that on?" NO, I'm NOT. I'm not going to buy it, either, if you don't get out of my face. Then there were the ones who would look at what I'd picked out and say, "Oh, if you like that, you need to get this, too," and try to drag me over to another rack of clothing. Maybe some people appreciate that sort of "help" while they're shopping, but I do not. I want to be able to shop in peace and quiet and don't appreciate having pushy salespeople trying to strong arm me into buying things I don't want or need.
At Sephora, I was asked at least five times whether I had a "Beauty Insider" card, and at least three times whether I was "finding everything okay."
I won't set foot in a Victoria's Secret store after being accosted no less than six times in the span of five minutes there several years ago by salespeople imploring me to open a Victoria's Secret credit card account and refusing to take "no" for an answer. All I wanted was to buy some friggin' panties, but they wouldn't stop interrupting me. I walked out in disgust, came home, and ordered my undies online.
My favorite (and, by "favorite," I mean "least favorite") tactic is when you go to the cash register to check out, and the cashier asks if you'd like to open a credit card account. You say, "no." They ask you, "Why not?" Then they stand there and argue with you when you tell them that you simply are not interested.
Look, I know salespeople have a job to do, but do they need to hover so much? And do they need to attempt to bully you into buying things or signing up for a credit card that you don't want? They should be available to help if needed, but if I need help, I'll ask for it. Really, I will.
At Nordstrom, at least three people asked if they could start a fitting room for me. I kept saying, "No, thank you." One lady tried to argue with me. "You're not going to try that on?" NO, I'm NOT. I'm not going to buy it, either, if you don't get out of my face. Then there were the ones who would look at what I'd picked out and say, "Oh, if you like that, you need to get this, too," and try to drag me over to another rack of clothing. Maybe some people appreciate that sort of "help" while they're shopping, but I do not. I want to be able to shop in peace and quiet and don't appreciate having pushy salespeople trying to strong arm me into buying things I don't want or need.
At Sephora, I was asked at least five times whether I had a "Beauty Insider" card, and at least three times whether I was "finding everything okay."
I won't set foot in a Victoria's Secret store after being accosted no less than six times in the span of five minutes there several years ago by salespeople imploring me to open a Victoria's Secret credit card account and refusing to take "no" for an answer. All I wanted was to buy some friggin' panties, but they wouldn't stop interrupting me. I walked out in disgust, came home, and ordered my undies online.
My favorite (and, by "favorite," I mean "least favorite") tactic is when you go to the cash register to check out, and the cashier asks if you'd like to open a credit card account. You say, "no." They ask you, "Why not?" Then they stand there and argue with you when you tell them that you simply are not interested.
Look, I know salespeople have a job to do, but do they need to hover so much? And do they need to attempt to bully you into buying things or signing up for a credit card that you don't want? They should be available to help if needed, but if I need help, I'll ask for it. Really, I will.


3 Comments:
There is one line I remember, and I thought it was great. I think it was used on my wife:
"That 'piece of clothing' accentuates your eyes"
How can a woman say no to that?
Ha! They'll say anything, I tell you.
HA! That's a great opening line too.
The best way to deal with the credit card accosting is to tell them that you already have the card, but you just don't want to use it. It works for me. But I hate shopping for clothes anyway.
Post a Comment
<< Home