Monday, October 22, 2007

A little inspiration

Last night I attended a benefit dinner for Planned Parenthood. It was a huge event, with nearly 900 attendees, and it was a really great evening. Getting to hear both Sarah Weddington and Cecile Richards (daughter of Ann Richards) speak at the same event was priceless. Cecile gave a fantastic speech, and is definitely her mother's daughter -- she demonstrated great poise and a wonderful sense of humor when her microphone was mysteriously cut off in the middle of her speech.

Both of these women are so inspirational, and one thing Cecile said really stuck with me. I can't recall her exact words, but she was talking about her mother's lack of patience for anyone who chooses to just sit around whining about the current state of affairs. She essentially said that her mother's philosophy was that if you aren't willing to get up and do something about it, then you should just be quiet, because whining isn't going to change anything.

Amen to that! I need to step up my efforts to find a position with a non-profit (preferably Planned Parenthood or a similar organization). I really want to do something that I'm passionate about, and something that makes a difference, and sitting around wishing for such a position isn't going to make it happen.

In other news, we got our first real cold front of the season overnight! I was awakened in the wee hours by loud gusts of wind and then thunderstorms, and when I got up this morning to take the recycling to the curb, it was still windy and very cool! We've gone from temps in the low 90s to temps in the 50s, and I'm loving it. Fall weather is my favorite! Sadly, we're supposed to rapidly get back up into the 80s this week, but at least fall seems to finally be on its way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

enjoy your cooler temps! you guys sure deserve to get a little relief there!!!

:o)

loved the postcard ... brightened my day!

10:42 PM, October 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home