Those darn antibodies
I saw my rheumatologist today, and he was none too pleased with the way my joints look. It's a good thing he didn't see me three or four weeks ago when I could barely move at all! He was most concerned about my feet, ankles, and hands, which are all still very swollen.
His theory is that the Enbrel had stopped working for me because I've developed antibodies to it. This was news to me, but apparently, after being on one of the biological agents like Enbrel for awhile, about 80% of patients develop antibodies to them and have to switch to a different one. Fortunately, there are several to choose from these days.
He decided to leave me on the Enbrel/methotrexate combination for another two months, and if I haven't improved significantly by then, he will take me off Enbrel and put me on Humira.
His theory is that the Enbrel had stopped working for me because I've developed antibodies to it. This was news to me, but apparently, after being on one of the biological agents like Enbrel for awhile, about 80% of patients develop antibodies to them and have to switch to a different one. Fortunately, there are several to choose from these days.
He decided to leave me on the Enbrel/methotrexate combination for another two months, and if I haven't improved significantly by then, he will take me off Enbrel and put me on Humira.


1 Comments:
pills pills pills ...
we once hoped they were the answer ... sigh ...
leo is in his snoozing mode ... i really don't know how to help that?
oh - my suitcases are packed ... paintbrushes and all ... so when are you expecting me?
((hugs))
Post a Comment
<< Home