Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Here we go again

Back in 2001 and 2002, I had a couple of TMJ procedures. My oral surgeon asked me at the time if I had rheumatoid arthritis, and I said no, because at that point I wasn't aware that I did. He told me that the type of damage he was seeing in my jaws was typical of someone with RA. After I was diagnosed in early 2003, I told him, and he said, "I knew it!" So I guess it makes sense that my jaws were the first thing to flare up six weeks ago when my downward spiral began.

In any event, I made an appointment with my oral surgeon at the first sign of trouble in July, but he was booked until this afternoon. Since I've gotten so much better after getting back on the methotrexate, I figured he'd just check me out and send me home. No such luck. After examining my jaws for about 30 seconds, he scheduled me for surgery on September 20. Apparently, he sees the fact that I can open my mouth only about an inch wide as some sort of problem. Hmph.

The good news is that he's going to do basically the same procedure I had five years ago, rather than the total jaw replacement he warned me back in 2003 that I would need eventually. The bad news is that, having been through this procedure twice already, I know how much it hurts. A LOT. If it tides me over for another five years or more before we have to do something more extreme, though, it'll be worth it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this again. I know how bad it can be to do the same surgery over and over. I think it hurts more each time they have to redo things.

Big hugs heading your way. You'll make it through.

5:23 PM, September 06, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, Bear! I'm definitely not looking forward to this, but I'm very glad that I'm not at the point of needing anything more drastic!

6:54 AM, September 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knowing what to expect post-op doesn't make the pain of the surgery any better, but it does help with the pre-surgical gitters.

How long of a recover is it?

9:13 AM, September 07, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

It's not too long of a recovery. The first time, I had only one side done, and I think I even went back to work the next day. Of course, the pain and soft foods diet lasted longer, but not more than a week or two.

The second time, he did both sides, and it was worse. The post-op pain was so bad several days later that I had to go back to see him and he gave me some stronger meds. I think it was about a month before I was eating real food again with no trouble.

I expect this time to be slightly worse, since he's doing an additional dye-injection/CAT scan thing (it's called an arthrogram). I read a TMJ message board where someone posted that they'd had an arthrogram with no anesthesia, and that it was the absolute worst pain they'd ever felt -- like a hot nail twisting around inside their head, or something like that. Yikes!! But I'll be unconscious, so I'm not too worried. I just expect it'll add a bit to the recovery time and post-op pain.

11:41 PM, September 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. I'm sorry to hear this, Cat. :(

Thoughts and prayers are with you... and big hugs and puppy slurrrps!

8:59 PM, September 08, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, tokin! Achilles is going to have his second knee surgery later this month or next month, too. I feel way more sorry for him than I do for myself! At least that should be the last surgery he'll need, though.

Aroooooooooooorooooooooooooroooooooo!

9:56 PM, September 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, poor guy. It's gotta be hard for them because they don't know why you're doing it to them, and it's hard on us too. We're glad he'll be back to his feisty self again soon, though.

Me & Sheba will be thinking of both of you. :)

*hugs!* and *aroooo-ooooo-ooo!!!*

10:13 PM, September 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home