Saturday, August 11, 2007

My closet is a clown car.

When I first started this blog, I talked about how I needed to start clearing the clutter from my life, both literally and figuratively. I then proceeded to not do that.

So, this evening I decided to clean out my closet. I have not cleaned out my closet in at least eight years. Oh, my GOD. Do you have any idea how much useless crap you can stuff into a closet in eight years? I've been working at it for three hours now, and I still haven't managed to haul out everything that was piled up on the closet floor. What I have managed to haul out is now strewn all over the bedroom. I have no idea how it all fit into my closet, which is not very big, in the first place; nor do I have any idea how I'm going to get the items I'm planning to keep back in there. I have several bags full of stuff to get rid of, but I still have stacks and stacks of stuff I want to keep.

I haven't even gotten to the shelves yet; I think I'd better save those for another day.

I am making a new rule right now. Henceforth, whenever I buy anything new, I must get rid of something old. It is the only way to stop the insanity!

8 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

the thing i have enjoyed MOST about our 3 moves in 2 years - is getting rid of clutter ...

we still have the garage & storage room to organize - maybe i missed some things and need to give away? i sure hope so ... the only clutter i truly love is books!

8:37 AM, August 12, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Oh, yes! Books are the one thing I never get rid of. :)

It does feel great to do a big cleaning like this and get rid of a bunch of clutter. I've been in this house for over 12 years now -- you can accumulate A LOT of clutter in 12 years! My goal is to have the whole house cleared of clutter by the end of the year. I'm getting ready for some renovations and remodeling, which can't start til the clutter is gone.

10:23 AM, August 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saija's right. We've moved so many times there's just no room for clutter. Plus, it costs money to move that stuff.

6:11 PM, August 13, 2007  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

22 years in the army. 16 moves.
You soon get used to ditching stuff you can't carry around.
Single soldier (3 boxes period)
You learn early on not to get too emotionally attached to things.

6:21 PM, August 13, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Pounce, that is what I aspire to do -- get rid of my attachment to things I don't need. Bear, you're right about the moving thing, but even more than the cost of moving a bunch of useless crap, I just wouldn't want to go through all the effort it would take!

8:24 PM, August 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad has lived in the same house for 43 some odd years. Can you imagine the crap that probably hidden in the corners of that place???

Maybe that's why he never wants to move. I told he just needs to put fire to the place.

6:16 PM, August 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have one corner that doesn't have SOMETHING crammed in it. Don't even get me started about the garage!

Bear, yes I *can* imagine... my parents are moving to a retirement village after 45 years in the house. My mom has been pawning stuff off on me for a year now, and she finally made me rent a U-Haul for the rest. I told he please, no more! lol!

9:38 PM, August 18, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Yikes!! My parents moved about five years ago after about 22 years in the same house, and that was bad enough! When I first moved out of my parents' house, I had everything moved, unpacked, and set up in my new place in one day. My goal is to pare down all of my accumulated crap to that point once again.

Tokin, just say no!! :)

9:19 PM, August 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home