Monday, October 08, 2007

Too close to home

My office mate received word today that a woman she used to work with at a different law firm had been missing since Friday. She was last seen walking to the bus stop after work and was not heard from again. She worked at a law firm in the office building directly across the street from ours.

At the same time, we heard that a woman's body had been found on the UT campus this morning, about two dozen blocks from our office.

Sadly, it turned out to be the missing woman, Linda Judd.

Assuming she was abducted on her way to the bus stop, that means someone snatched her literally right outside my office building, and in broad daylight, no less. It's always heartbreaking to hear about something like this happening anywhere, to anyone, but when it happens so close to home, it's really unsettling. I felt nauseous when we found out that the body they'd found was hers. That could have been me or any of the women I work with, so it feels personal, even though I didn't know this poor woman personally.

I've been considering doing this for some time now, but I think I'm going to go ahead and do it -- I'm going to get a concealed carry permit. Whoever did this is still out there, and that really pisses me off.

6 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

isn't that terrible! and so scary for sure!!!

it is sad that SICK people can do this with no one realizing it until it's too late ...

"Lord protect Catherine ... keep your shield around her, give her peace ... let her travel in safety ... in Jesus name ... "

9:08 PM, October 13, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thank you, Saija!

We are still waiting to find out exactly what happened to Linda Judd. The police aren't releasing many details and have said they aren't treating it as a suspicious death.

???

Woman leaves work and is found two days later, two dozen blocks away, in a wooded area on a college campus, dead, and it's not suspicious?? Sheesh.

7:16 AM, October 15, 2007  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

Pounce walks into the room.
“Without meaning to be insensitive. Was this poor lady a victim of an assault of some kind or did she die of natural causes?
Pounce walks out again.

8:25 PM, October 16, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi, Pounce! We don't know yet, because the police haven't released any information regarding how she died. I would be awfully surprised to hear that it was natural causes, though, given the circumstances under which she vanished and was found dead two days later.

10:35 PM, October 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't assume that she was abducted near the bus stop too. She might have been somewhere else.

If you do carry a weapon, get trained on using it. If you become afraid to use it, it can be used against you.

4:15 PM, November 07, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Oh, indeed. I already know how to shoot, but if I do get a concealed carry permit, I'll spend a lot of practice time at the firing range first, and periodically thereafter to keep up my skills.

8:51 PM, November 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home