Eye surgery
I had my scary, scary eye surgery today, and it really turned out to be no big deal at all. After sitting in the waiting room for an hour and a half, the surgery itself took less than five minutes. About an hour before the surgery, they put drops in my eyes to constrict my pupil (which gave me quite a headache) and right before the surgery they put in some numbing drops (despite which, I could still feel every pulse of the laser), and they put a bunch of goop on some sort of contact lens and stuck it in my eye.
Holding my eye still during the procedure was no problem at all, thank goodness. That's what I had been really worried about. I couldn't see the laser, so my eyes didn't start inadvertently darting around. After surgery, they took out the goopy contact lens, flushed my eye with saline, gave me a prescription for some eyedrops to use for a week to keep the irritation and swelling at bay, and sent me on my way.
My eye was very sore this afternoon, but I took a nap when I got home and it's feeling pretty normal now. I'm really glad that's over with! I still have to have the other eye done, but now that I know what to expect, I'm not worried about it any more. Whew!
Holding my eye still during the procedure was no problem at all, thank goodness. That's what I had been really worried about. I couldn't see the laser, so my eyes didn't start inadvertently darting around. After surgery, they took out the goopy contact lens, flushed my eye with saline, gave me a prescription for some eyedrops to use for a week to keep the irritation and swelling at bay, and sent me on my way.
My eye was very sore this afternoon, but I took a nap when I got home and it's feeling pretty normal now. I'm really glad that's over with! I still have to have the other eye done, but now that I know what to expect, I'm not worried about it any more. Whew!


2 Comments:
That sounds so easy. How much does it cost? Does your insurance cover it?
Can you see better out of that eye?
It was extremely easy! My insurance covered most of it. The surgery was around $900.00 and I just had a 10% copay.
It didn't affect how well I can see out of that eye at all -- this wasn't for vision improvement or anything, just to prevent me from getting glaucoma and going blind.
I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow, but aside from some occasional pain, I haven't had any problems since the surgery. Now I just need to get the other eye done...
Post a Comment
<< Home