Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
I was afraid this was going to happen. After months of futile job-searching, I finally had a great interview this morning, and was told they'd call me back early next week to meet with the other attorney who was out of the office today, right? So, I'm really excited and pretty sure they're going to make me an offer.
Then, at about 4:00 this afternoon, I got a call from the staffing agency who set up that interview for me last week with the Miami-based firm (let's call that one Firm A). Firm A has made me an offer! And it's a good one!
BUT, there's a catch. If I take the job, I'll have to fly to Miami for training.
I don't WANT to fly to Miami. Most people would probably jump at the chance for a free trip to Miami, especially in combination with a good job offer. But I am not most people. I hate to fly. I have never flown anywhere by myself, and the very thought terrifies me. I don't want to fly alone to a strange city, stay in a hotel by myself, and god forbid I'd have to rent a car and try to find my way around. I don't even like driving in my own town if I'm going someplace I've never been to before. I'm having an anxiety attack just thinking about this Miami trip.
I told the staffing agency guy that I'd have to think about it over the weekend, and I also told him about my interview today and let him know that I want to see if that firm is also going to make me an offer before I decide anything. He asked me to call him first thing Monday morning.
Then, at around 5:00, I got a call from the firm I interviewed with this morning (we'll call it Firm B), asking me to come back in on Monday at 10:00 to meet with that second attorney. So, they're moving really fast on this, which means they really like me and are probably also going to make me an offer.
THEN, at around 6:00, a chick from the staffing agency called me and said, "Hey, I know you want the weekend to think it over, but Firm A is REALLY interested in you, and they're really hoping that you'll accept their offer, so I just wanted to check in and see if you're any closer to making a decision yet." I told her that Firm B had called me for a second interview and that I'll call her on Monday after the interview to let her know if it looks like they're going to make me an offer. She asked if I was leaning one way or the other, and I told her I'm leaning towards Firm B because I don't want to go to Miami. She thought I was nuts, but agreed to wait til after my interview on Monday to hear from me.
I hate being in this position. I know it's perfectly normal and acceptable to want to consider all offers when job-hunting, but my natural inclination is to want to please everybody, and I hate that I'll have to turn down one of these offers. I shouldn't feel guilty about it, but I do.
I'm going to come up with a list of pros and cons for each firm and post them next. Feedback and suggestions from my readers (all five of you) would be appreciated!
Then, at about 4:00 this afternoon, I got a call from the staffing agency who set up that interview for me last week with the Miami-based firm (let's call that one Firm A). Firm A has made me an offer! And it's a good one!
BUT, there's a catch. If I take the job, I'll have to fly to Miami for training.
I don't WANT to fly to Miami. Most people would probably jump at the chance for a free trip to Miami, especially in combination with a good job offer. But I am not most people. I hate to fly. I have never flown anywhere by myself, and the very thought terrifies me. I don't want to fly alone to a strange city, stay in a hotel by myself, and god forbid I'd have to rent a car and try to find my way around. I don't even like driving in my own town if I'm going someplace I've never been to before. I'm having an anxiety attack just thinking about this Miami trip.
I told the staffing agency guy that I'd have to think about it over the weekend, and I also told him about my interview today and let him know that I want to see if that firm is also going to make me an offer before I decide anything. He asked me to call him first thing Monday morning.
Then, at around 5:00, I got a call from the firm I interviewed with this morning (we'll call it Firm B), asking me to come back in on Monday at 10:00 to meet with that second attorney. So, they're moving really fast on this, which means they really like me and are probably also going to make me an offer.
THEN, at around 6:00, a chick from the staffing agency called me and said, "Hey, I know you want the weekend to think it over, but Firm A is REALLY interested in you, and they're really hoping that you'll accept their offer, so I just wanted to check in and see if you're any closer to making a decision yet." I told her that Firm B had called me for a second interview and that I'll call her on Monday after the interview to let her know if it looks like they're going to make me an offer. She asked if I was leaning one way or the other, and I told her I'm leaning towards Firm B because I don't want to go to Miami. She thought I was nuts, but agreed to wait til after my interview on Monday to hear from me.
I hate being in this position. I know it's perfectly normal and acceptable to want to consider all offers when job-hunting, but my natural inclination is to want to please everybody, and I hate that I'll have to turn down one of these offers. I shouldn't feel guilty about it, but I do.
I'm going to come up with a list of pros and cons for each firm and post them next. Feedback and suggestions from my readers (all five of you) would be appreciated!


2 Comments:
UGH, feast or famine... as usual.
I'd say more like "Yahooooooooooo!", though. That's a "good" type of dilemma! I knew something would come along for you soon, you're too sharp for them not to notice. (There really *are* a lot of mediocre people out there).
Easy for me to say, but I wouldn't be too worried about flying, it's really not so bad once you're doing it.
Anyway, I'm soooo happy for you Cat and I know you'll make the decision that's right for you.
*ckink!*
*hugs!* :)
Yeah, as dilemmas go, this is a pretty good one. Looks like either way, my long summer of unemployment is about to end. I figure by a week from Monday, I'll probably be starting a new job. Woohoo!
I'm still working on my pros and cons list. :)
**clink!**
Post a Comment
<< Home