I can't get no satisfaction
I'm still going back and forth as to how I feel about my new job, and I think I've figured out what the problem is. It's not that there's anything wrong with the job so much as it is that it's just not something that fulfills me. I'd much rather be doing something, still in the legal field, but in the area of, say, the pro-choice movement (which is in big trouble these days, in my opinion). Even my last job, although it didn't involve anything like that, had a much higher personal fulfillment factor because we did things like handle guardianships for people who couldn't care for themselves, help terminal cancer patients with their estate planning documents, etc. There was more of a feeling that I was actually helping to make people's lives better, or helping them in their time of need. With this job -- not so much.
I am just not the type of person who can be happy working in a big, corporate environment. My years at Motorola taught me that. This firm, of course, isn't nearly so big or so corporate, but there are quite a few similarities nonetheless. There are certain benefits to working for a larger firm, and one that handles a lot of huge cases for corporate clients -- better pay, better job stability, better benefits, way cooler technology and office equipment -- but the personal fulfillment factor is almost nonexistent.
I'm not going to make any sudden moves or anything, but I'm going to have to start thinking about what I really want to spend forty-plus hours per week doing, and keeping an eye out for something that might be a better fit for me on a personal level.
I am just not the type of person who can be happy working in a big, corporate environment. My years at Motorola taught me that. This firm, of course, isn't nearly so big or so corporate, but there are quite a few similarities nonetheless. There are certain benefits to working for a larger firm, and one that handles a lot of huge cases for corporate clients -- better pay, better job stability, better benefits, way cooler technology and office equipment -- but the personal fulfillment factor is almost nonexistent.
I'm not going to make any sudden moves or anything, but I'm going to have to start thinking about what I really want to spend forty-plus hours per week doing, and keeping an eye out for something that might be a better fit for me on a personal level.


6 Comments:
the up-side is that the money & benefits are good ...
is there something within the firm that you could be working on for even a few hours of the week that would be more satisfying?
i do know what you mean about jobs that don't satisfy ...
sending *hugs* your way ...
"is there something within the firm that you could be working on for even a few hours of the week that would be more satisfying?"
I was just thinking along those lines. :) The firm does have an estate planning and probate section, so maybe I could eventually move there. I'm gonna definitely give this whole thing some thought, because I don't want to start job-skipping. I won't make a move til I'm pretty sure I've found just the right thing.
**hugs** back at ya!
i totally hear you about jobs that aren't personally fulfilling. doing volunteer work could help... it's just so time-consuming and it's like you'd rather do the volunteer work than your actual job. i've always hated the idea of working so i could make some rich white guys richer. i'm just too lazy to figure out what would really make me happy.
Seriously, it sucks to spend forty-plus hours per week doing something you couldn't care less about. On the one hand, I feel guilty about complaining, because I realize I'm lucky to be employed and earning a paycheck. But on the other hand, I cannot see myself doing this job for the long haul, because I find it mind-numbingly boring. If only I could figure out what sort of job would make me happy...
Getting a job in the pro-abortion field is pretty dangerous these days.
I'm not scared. :) I even looked on the PP website yesterday, but they didn't have any openings in my field -- all the jobs they had posted were in the medical field.
Post a Comment
<< Home