Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Overwhelmed, but hanging in there

This week has been rough so far. While I'm grateful to be employed again, I'm still not entirely sure I'm going to like this particular job. There have been a couple of moments this week where I've thought, "Screw this. I need to keep looking for something else." Of course, even if I wanted to keep looking, there's no way I'd have the time.

The good news is, my new-job jitters seem to be dissipating a bit, and there have also been moments this week where I've thought that once I am settled in, I really will enjoy the job, or at least most parts of it. It's always stressful to start a new job, and this one is particularly stressful for me since I am very shy by nature and it's difficult for me to suddenly be thrust into this huge firm with so many people to deal with. So, since I recognize that, I'm going to stick it out. I'm starting to feel like I can handle it. Nerve-wracking as it's been, I still think I'm doing very well and that my new bosses are very impressed. I do have skills. :)

I'm really missing my blogging, posting, web-surfing, and personal emailing time, though. Even if I were allowed to do such things from work (which I'm not), I don't have a spare second during the workday to do so, anyway. That is a good thing in a way, because this job keeps me so busy that the days go by really quickly. I hate being bored at work, and this job is most definitely not boring.

I just have to keep telling myself that I'll settle in, and it'll be fine. It's just overwhelming at first. That's all. Right?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can handle it! If it's any consolation, I have a swarm of butterflies in my stomach that never seem to migrate. I thought they were supposed to return to Mexico or somewhere occasionally.

You're right, it's a little overwhelming, that's all. Of course your bosses are impressed! I told you that. Anyone who knows you would tell you the same thing. You WILL settle in! Not only "will you be fine". you "ARE" fine.... A precious Jewel... and I don't mean that as a platitude, I mean that sincerely. :)

Shi Shi misses you and sends you a nice, choice stalk of bamboo to munch on at break! Have a great day!

*hugs!*

Arooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! :))))

2:25 AM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, Shi Shi! :) I actually slept fairly well for the second night in a row last night (I had been waking up every couple of hours at night ever since I started the new job), and am feeling pretty calm about going to work today, so I guess I *am* starting to settle in. Whew!

Hopefully, Xin Xin will be around this evening. :)

6:06 AM, September 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with shi shi!
You've got skills and you are a precious jewel :)

New jobs are tough. I'm thinking of jumping ship and going for the money. It would be a good job for me and I'd still be doing something I love. I'd just get paid a heck of a lot more for it.

And lord knows, I need the money.
Dog food is expensive!

6:53 PM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thank you, Ma'am! The feeling is mutual. :)

New jobs certainly are tough! Today sucked ass, but tomorrow should be better. One good thing is that all three of the attorneys I'm working for told me today what a great job I'm doing and that they're really glad they hired me (they had interviewed only one other person for the job). So that was nice to hear.

I would not blame you a bit for going for the money! As long as you're still doing what you love, and you find it fulfilling, you may as well be getting PAID! You're certainly worth it!

7:35 PM, September 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home