Firm A vs. Firm B
Firm A Pros
1. Small office environment -- would be just me and one attorney -- but with the benefits of working for a larger firm (good salary, bonuses, 401k, etc.). I love the two-person office environment. Peace and quiet, no annoying co-workers, and there also wouldn't be any clients coming into the office. None of their cases are local.
2. I really liked the attorney. She seems really cool, good sense of humor, has two dogs -- I think we'd get along very well.
3. Supporting only one attorney is a piece of cake.
Firm A Cons
1. The Miami trip. I know it's a one-time thing and probably doesn't seem like it should be a big deal, but I cannot emphasize enough how big of a sticking point it is for me.
2. Questionable job stability -- the downside of having only one attorney in the Austin office. If she suddenly has to move to another city or decides to join a different firm, I'm out on my ass again.
3. I didn't notice a kitchen or even a refrigerator or microwave when I was there. I'm gonna need a fridge at least, because I go through three or four beverages during a workday and I'll need a place to stash my bottled water, juice, and fraps. This may not be a huge issue -- I could always buy a mini fridge if the firm won't buy one for the office.
Firm B Pros
1. Firm B is much larger than Firm A (well over 100 attorneys, as opposed to Firm A's twenty), which could mean an even better salary, better benefits, and much better job stability. The person I'd be replacing worked there for twenty years.
2. I really liked the attorney who interviewed me today. In fact, I liked her just as much as I liked the attorney at Firm A. I think she'd be great to work for and that we'd get along swimmingly. I also liked the paralegal and the HR associate. Firm B seems like it would be a great place to work, despite the large office environment.
3. Larger firm means greater chance for advancement.
4. I really like the fact that they had me take those pre-interview tests. It shows that they really want to see what I can do before they make me an offer, as opposed to making their decision based on an awkward interview and a glance at my resume.
Firm B Cons
1. Working in a large firm means annoyances such as having to cover for others when they go on vacation or are out sick. Then again, it also means that others will be there to cover for me under those circumstances.
2. Supporting three attorneys is not a piece of cake. On the other hand, there's little chance of boredom, and I do tend to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
3. Large offices tend to be noisy, and extraneous noise really grates on my nerves. From what I saw of the office today, it seemed pretty quiet and tranquil, but I didn't get to see the area where I'd be working.
I'll probably add to the list throughout the weekend as I think of additional pros and cons, but that's a start. Oddly enough, these firms are both in the same building, so there are no differences in the pros and cons based on location.
Update:
I emailed my former boss about this dilemma, and he said he'd lean towards Firm B, which is what my gut is telling me to do, anyway.
1. Small office environment -- would be just me and one attorney -- but with the benefits of working for a larger firm (good salary, bonuses, 401k, etc.). I love the two-person office environment. Peace and quiet, no annoying co-workers, and there also wouldn't be any clients coming into the office. None of their cases are local.
2. I really liked the attorney. She seems really cool, good sense of humor, has two dogs -- I think we'd get along very well.
3. Supporting only one attorney is a piece of cake.
Firm A Cons
1. The Miami trip. I know it's a one-time thing and probably doesn't seem like it should be a big deal, but I cannot emphasize enough how big of a sticking point it is for me.
2. Questionable job stability -- the downside of having only one attorney in the Austin office. If she suddenly has to move to another city or decides to join a different firm, I'm out on my ass again.
3. I didn't notice a kitchen or even a refrigerator or microwave when I was there. I'm gonna need a fridge at least, because I go through three or four beverages during a workday and I'll need a place to stash my bottled water, juice, and fraps. This may not be a huge issue -- I could always buy a mini fridge if the firm won't buy one for the office.
Firm B Pros
1. Firm B is much larger than Firm A (well over 100 attorneys, as opposed to Firm A's twenty), which could mean an even better salary, better benefits, and much better job stability. The person I'd be replacing worked there for twenty years.
2. I really liked the attorney who interviewed me today. In fact, I liked her just as much as I liked the attorney at Firm A. I think she'd be great to work for and that we'd get along swimmingly. I also liked the paralegal and the HR associate. Firm B seems like it would be a great place to work, despite the large office environment.
3. Larger firm means greater chance for advancement.
4. I really like the fact that they had me take those pre-interview tests. It shows that they really want to see what I can do before they make me an offer, as opposed to making their decision based on an awkward interview and a glance at my resume.
Firm B Cons
1. Working in a large firm means annoyances such as having to cover for others when they go on vacation or are out sick. Then again, it also means that others will be there to cover for me under those circumstances.
2. Supporting three attorneys is not a piece of cake. On the other hand, there's little chance of boredom, and I do tend to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
3. Large offices tend to be noisy, and extraneous noise really grates on my nerves. From what I saw of the office today, it seemed pretty quiet and tranquil, but I didn't get to see the area where I'd be working.
I'll probably add to the list throughout the weekend as I think of additional pros and cons, but that's a start. Oddly enough, these firms are both in the same building, so there are no differences in the pros and cons based on location.
Update:
I emailed my former boss about this dilemma, and he said he'd lean towards Firm B, which is what my gut is telling me to do, anyway.


6 Comments:
I'd go with Firm B unless Firm A is offering more money. But I do think that you are being irrational about the Miami flight. You only live once. Millions of people fly all the time, and most people don't get harmed or die on trips or on flights.
Firm B sounds way more secure and it doesn't hurt to know a bunch of people over one person when it comes to continued employment. Lawyers who leave a large firm may give you a great offer down the road to go where they are going for example.
Thanks, Wino! I'm definitely leaning towards Firm B. Of course, they haven't made me an offer yet, but I think they are going to, and if they do, I think I'm going to take it.
I'm not so concerned about flying per se. I'm more concerned about flying alone and staying alone in a strange city -- getting lost, missing a connecting flight, etc. It *is* irrational, but it's like a phobia with me. Plus, I really, really hate the thought of leaving Achilles.
WOW! i don't get to check in on you for a day and your whole world has shifted!
in one sense, it is the best of positions to be in ... but but but ...
will be praying for wisdom for you!
nice to be wanted though! :o)
Isn't it amazing how quickly things can happen? I hope your condo happens just as quickly for you! :)
"will be praying for wisdom for you!"
Thank you!
Firm B looks like the best choice to me. I suggest you immediately send them a thank you letter and tell them you would really like to work for them.
Thanks, Carl! Firm B seems to be the general consensus, and the more I think about it, the more I agree. I will definitely send them a thank-you note immediately after my second interview tomorrow. I am wondering if I should tell them about the other offer and emphasize that I would really prefer to work for them. I've never been in this position before.
Post a Comment
<< Home