Wardrobe Malfunction
So, Firm B has rules. A lot of rules. A hundred-page employee handbook full of rules. It's reminiscent of my days at Motorola. Except Firm B is stuffier than Motorola. Especially when it comes to the dress code. Which is understandable, since they have to project a certain image. However, a lot of the clothes I wore at my previous job are not acceptable at Firm B. Capri pants, for example. I wear a lot of capri pants because, due to my height, full-length pants never fit me correctly. If I buy them in a regular length, they are so long I'm tripping over them, but if I buy them in a petite length, they are just a tad too short and look dorky. Capri pants work for me because, even though they're longer on me than they are on taller people, they still look like capri pants. But Firm B does not allow capri pants.
Anyway. I had to stop after work yesterday and buy a couple of pairs of pants because I only had four pairs of full-length trousers that fit me now that I've lost so much weight, and I was running out of things to wear to work. Now, I have a thing about trying clothes on in the store. I don't do it. So, I just grabbed a couple of pairs of size 4 pants, figuring they might be a little long, but should fit me otherwise.
I put one of them on this morning, and not only was it ridiculously long on me, but it was way too big in the waist and hips. I didn't have time to find something else to wear, so I ended up spending the entire day trying to hike my pants up every time I had to get up from my desk, and trying not to trip over the hems every time I took a step. I looked like a little girl playing dress-up with her mother's clothes. All I needed to complete the picture was some badly smeared red lipstick and a ridiculously long string of pearls.
Either they have started making clothes bigger, or I'm getting smaller even though my weight has been holding steady for the past few months, because size 4 usually fits me. I think our thin-obsessed culture is leading clothing manufacturers to change the way they size their clothing. What would have been labeled a size 6 or 8 a few years ago is now labeled a size 2 or 4. Size 0 clothes are a relatively new phenomenon, if I'm not mistaken, and I hear they are now even making a size 00. Is it because women want so badly to feel thin that the clothing manufacturers are trying to appease us by telling us we wear a smaller size than we really do? I am baffled.
Anyway, now I have to go to the mall tomorrow in search of some pants that fit. I guess I will have to resort to actually trying them on before I buy them.
More on the new job later in the weekend.
Anyway. I had to stop after work yesterday and buy a couple of pairs of pants because I only had four pairs of full-length trousers that fit me now that I've lost so much weight, and I was running out of things to wear to work. Now, I have a thing about trying clothes on in the store. I don't do it. So, I just grabbed a couple of pairs of size 4 pants, figuring they might be a little long, but should fit me otherwise.
I put one of them on this morning, and not only was it ridiculously long on me, but it was way too big in the waist and hips. I didn't have time to find something else to wear, so I ended up spending the entire day trying to hike my pants up every time I had to get up from my desk, and trying not to trip over the hems every time I took a step. I looked like a little girl playing dress-up with her mother's clothes. All I needed to complete the picture was some badly smeared red lipstick and a ridiculously long string of pearls.
Either they have started making clothes bigger, or I'm getting smaller even though my weight has been holding steady for the past few months, because size 4 usually fits me. I think our thin-obsessed culture is leading clothing manufacturers to change the way they size their clothing. What would have been labeled a size 6 or 8 a few years ago is now labeled a size 2 or 4. Size 0 clothes are a relatively new phenomenon, if I'm not mistaken, and I hear they are now even making a size 00. Is it because women want so badly to feel thin that the clothing manufacturers are trying to appease us by telling us we wear a smaller size than we really do? I am baffled.
Anyway, now I have to go to the mall tomorrow in search of some pants that fit. I guess I will have to resort to actually trying them on before I buy them.
More on the new job later in the weekend.


6 Comments:
LMAO @ "Shirley Temple" image!
On the bright side, your cloths were too BIG.
Smokin! :)
LOL, it was really ridiculous. Seriously, though, I swear the powers that be in the clothing industry are screwing with the sizing. Ten years ago, I worked with a woman who was rail thin. She weighed 97 pounds. And at that time, she wore a size 5. Today, her size fives would be size double zeros. What's next? Negative clothing sizes? Sheesh.
i'm chuckling at the mental image you presented!
so how tall are you? i'm a shade under 5'2" ... and i used to be thin until i hit 45 - now i'm a comfortable weight - though i still do have problems with buying clothes that fit, right off the rack ... and i know what you mean re the sizes ... they are playing with our heads!!!!
Hey, we're about the same height! I am right at 5'2"! :) It really is an awkward height when it comes to clothes-buying, because regular length is way too long, but petite length is just a shade too short.
I just got back from the mall, where I managed to find three nice pairs of pants in a size 2 that fit me well, except for the length. I'll have to wear heels with them.
By the way, Saija, your 9/11 post was beautiful. It made me bawl.
**hugs**
who knew we were so close in shape? i always figure everyone is taller than i am! i have size 4 outfits that still fit me, but size 6 is usually the way to go for me, i swim in an 8 ... so you are itty bitty - lots of room for ice cream and chocolate, if the mood so strikes!
9/11 was an emotional time for us all, wasn't it? my 8 hour road trip that day, took me all along the Canada/US border - and my final destination was a city only 40 miles from that invisible line between our countries ... hope the cry was a healing one ...
have a restful sunday!!!
I know; I rarely meet anyone who is my size or shorter! I once worked with a girl who was the tiniest adult I've ever seen, though -- she was 4'9" and very slender, and absolutely gorgeous. It was odd seeing an adult woman who was so tiny! One of my new bosses is very tiny, as well. Shorter than me by two or three inches, and just teeny all the way around. She's very hyper, too, and she really cracks me up.
If you're a size 4 to size 6, you're pretty much at an ideal weight! You look great in the recent photos you've posted!
Yeah, 9/11 was definitely emotional for us all. I was fortunate not to have known anyone who was killed that day, but I have a sister-in-law who lives just a few blocks from the WTC, and was panicked until I heard that she'd been safely evacuated. She ran from her apartment with nothing but the clothes on her back, her flute, and her cat. She had to literally dive behind a dumpster for cover when the second tower came down.
You had quite a time that day, as well! I'm so sorry about your father. Another friend of mine lost his father in a car accident just a couple of weeks before 9/11, and 9/11 was his first day back at work, so he was already an emotional wreck and then had the added stress of his office building being evacuated as a safety precaution. So sad. :(
Post a Comment
<< Home