Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Never forget.



(Thanks to Elder of Ziyon for the photo.)

On the morning of September 11, 2001, I was running a bit late for work. When I got in the car, I turned on the radio and was momentarily confused by the frantic discussion on my usual morning talk show. It took me a couple of minutes to ascertain that an airplane had just crashed into the World Trade Center. Of course, at that time, they were discussing it as if it had been some sort of tragic accident.

As I entered the freeway, they announced, in complete shock, that a second plane had just hit the other tower. At that moment, I knew that it was no accident. I don't remember much about the rest of my drive to work, but I clearly remember that as I pulled into my space in the parking garage, they announced that there was smoke billowing out of the Pentagon.

I ran into the office and asked my boss if he'd been listening to the news. He said he'd heard before leaving for work that a plane had hit the WTC. I told him what had happened since then, and we rushed into the conference room and turned on the t.v.

I don't remember how long it was after that before the first tower began to crumble to the ground, but I do remember that as it happened, I was standing in front of the t.v. and could not believe my eyes. My mouth dropped open and the only thing I could utter was, "There are people in there!" My boss had tears in his eyes.

My other boss walked in just as the second tower was falling. I just looked at him, and he shook his head, muttered, "So sad," and went into his office.

The three of us spent pretty much the rest of the week watching the t.v. in the conference room.

As painful as it is for me and, no doubt, most of us, to remember 9/11, I cannot even imagine how painful it must be for those who lost loved ones that day. My heart goes out to them on this sad anniversary.

I, for one, will never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home