Weekends
Over the past several years, I had developed a bad habit of wasting my weekends away doing nothing at all. I would be so exhausted from working all week, and then when the effects of my weekend injections (which make me super tired, queasy, and headachey) were factored in, I would pretty much spend the weekend doing as little as possible, not wanting to leave the house at all if I could help it, not visiting anyone, not going to the movies, not even doing much around the house. I'd basically just sleep as much as possible, and when not sleeping, I'd just sit at the computer or read. Maybe toss in a load of laundry and wash some dishes, but not much else.
Then, I was out of work for two and a half months, and got used to having all the time in the world on my hands, so I got into a routine of house-cleaning, reading a lot, seeing a movie once or twice a week, visiting family, etc.
Now that I'm back at work and really conscious of the fact that I have very, very little time during the week to do the things I *want* to do, I've become pretty good about making the most of my weekends. I'm getting stuff done around the house, doing the grocery shopping, reading, visiting friends and family, riding my bike, and generally being somewhat productive with my two days off each week. I'm not even spending much time at the computer on the weekends any more.
This is a good trend, I think. I'm starting to feel like my life is a lot more productive. My injections (one on Friday evening and one on Saturday evening) still make me really tired , queasy, and headachey, but I force myself to get over it and get things done as much as I possibly can. I hope this trend continues. It's nice to feel like I'm actually doing something with the free time I do have.
Today is going to be pretty stressful at work -- we have two appellate briefs due to be filed today, which is a lot of work and much more complex a process than filing a pleading in a lower court. I do have a handful of appellate cases under my belt from my previous job, so at least I won't be totally lost, but since these will be the first briefs I've filed at the new job, I'm a little bit nervous about it. I think it will be okay, though. And the associate attorney and I are planning on going out for a quick drink after work to celebrate (she'll have wine, I'll have water), so that will be fun.
Then we have another appellate deadline coming up on Thursday, so this should be a very hectic week. At least I won't be bored, though. I hate being bored at work.
Then, I was out of work for two and a half months, and got used to having all the time in the world on my hands, so I got into a routine of house-cleaning, reading a lot, seeing a movie once or twice a week, visiting family, etc.
Now that I'm back at work and really conscious of the fact that I have very, very little time during the week to do the things I *want* to do, I've become pretty good about making the most of my weekends. I'm getting stuff done around the house, doing the grocery shopping, reading, visiting friends and family, riding my bike, and generally being somewhat productive with my two days off each week. I'm not even spending much time at the computer on the weekends any more.
This is a good trend, I think. I'm starting to feel like my life is a lot more productive. My injections (one on Friday evening and one on Saturday evening) still make me really tired , queasy, and headachey, but I force myself to get over it and get things done as much as I possibly can. I hope this trend continues. It's nice to feel like I'm actually doing something with the free time I do have.
Today is going to be pretty stressful at work -- we have two appellate briefs due to be filed today, which is a lot of work and much more complex a process than filing a pleading in a lower court. I do have a handful of appellate cases under my belt from my previous job, so at least I won't be totally lost, but since these will be the first briefs I've filed at the new job, I'm a little bit nervous about it. I think it will be okay, though. And the associate attorney and I are planning on going out for a quick drink after work to celebrate (she'll have wine, I'll have water), so that will be fun.
Then we have another appellate deadline coming up on Thursday, so this should be a very hectic week. At least I won't be bored, though. I hate being bored at work.


2 Comments:
i hear ya ...
now that i'm done for the season, i have all the time to putter and to visit with leo ... but when work starts i have stricter schedules for everything ...
hope you had a nice evening out with the assoc. attorn.
In some ways, I really prefer a stricter schedule to no schedule at all, but it would be nice to find a happy medium, wouldn't it?
We had to cancel our post-work drink because the attorney had to work late on a different case, so we're going to try to go later this week. I'm kind of a weenie about doing anything on a work night, so I didn't mind rescheduling. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home