Okay, today really did suck.
But tomorrow should be much better.
Today, one of my new bosses dragged me along to a luncheon for one of the Bar groups he belongs to. He signed up to organize five of these damn things -- one every other month -- and this was the first. The associate attorney and I were tasked with getting everyone signed in, handing out nametags, collecting money, etc. It made for a very hectic and stressful day. Since it was the first time any of us had done this, none of us knew what we were doing. Hopefully the next four will go more smoothly, and then we won't have to do any more of these things.
My other boss had a crapload of work for me to do today, so being out of the office for three hours for this luncheon was not a good thing. I ended up staying late to get everything done.
On a positive note, all three attorneys made a point of asking me today how I'm doing, if I like the job, etc., and they all told me that they think I'm doing a great job and that they're glad they hired me. I told one of them that I was feeling a little bit stressed out, just because I'm new and I still need to familiarize myself with the cases, the office procedures, etc., but that I think I'll be just fine once that happens. She said something like, "But you're catching on so quickly and doing a great job! Why would you even feel like you're not?"
So, it's going to be okay, and hopefully soon this blog will be about more than me whining about being stressed over the new job. :)
Today, one of my new bosses dragged me along to a luncheon for one of the Bar groups he belongs to. He signed up to organize five of these damn things -- one every other month -- and this was the first. The associate attorney and I were tasked with getting everyone signed in, handing out nametags, collecting money, etc. It made for a very hectic and stressful day. Since it was the first time any of us had done this, none of us knew what we were doing. Hopefully the next four will go more smoothly, and then we won't have to do any more of these things.
My other boss had a crapload of work for me to do today, so being out of the office for three hours for this luncheon was not a good thing. I ended up staying late to get everything done.
On a positive note, all three attorneys made a point of asking me today how I'm doing, if I like the job, etc., and they all told me that they think I'm doing a great job and that they're glad they hired me. I told one of them that I was feeling a little bit stressed out, just because I'm new and I still need to familiarize myself with the cases, the office procedures, etc., but that I think I'll be just fine once that happens. She said something like, "But you're catching on so quickly and doing a great job! Why would you even feel like you're not?"
So, it's going to be okay, and hopefully soon this blog will be about more than me whining about being stressed over the new job. :)


3 Comments:
At least they aren't dragging you on a plane to Florida.
It sounds like they really like you! I would have only been surprised if they said otherwise.
Hope today was indeed "not sucky". :)
Aroooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
LMAO
That is an excellent point, Wino! I'd much rather have to attend five stupid luncheons IN TOWN than fly to Miami for two days.
And today was, indeed, not sucky. They really do like me, and I really am getting settled in, so things are fine. There will be a couple of high-stress days next week (big appellate brief due on Wednesday), and I'm sure there will be a few more glitches and minor annoyances along the way, but I'm not worried any more. It's going to be a good job, and I'm working for good people.
Whew!
Post a Comment
<< Home