Sunday, October 28, 2007

Quitter

You know, I've tried repeatedly to quit smoking, and finally realized that I couldn't force myself to quit, and that I'd quit whenever I got so disgusted with it that I just couldn't do it any more. I think I am finally getting to that point.

I quit smoking in my car some time ago, and I decided several days ago that I would no longer smoke in my house. That immediately cut down my cigarette intake from around a pack a day to just five or six a day. And you know what? I haven't missed it much. In fact, when I've gone outside to smoke today (four times so far), I haven't even been smoking the entire cigarette. I get pretty grossed out about halfway through and put it out each time.

I'm used to smoking while I'm at my computer, and thought I would really miss it, but I haven't missed it at all for the most part. I'm not feeling any withdrawals or anything.

I think I'm on my way to finally becoming a nonsmoker! Even if I do continue to smoke five or fewer cigarettes per day, or perhaps just smoke socially on occasion, I'll consider that a victory.

4 Comments:

Blogger pounce_uk said...

You smoke???????

3:21 PM, November 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hardest thing about quitting is figuring out why you are quitting.

4:09 PM, November 07, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Indeed, Pounce, I do. But this whole not smoking indoors thing is working wonders. I'm smoking two to five cigarettes per day now, where I had been smoking around a pack a day for years. And I really don't miss it at all. I thought it would be really hard to quit smoking indoors, since I was so used to doing so, but once I decided to stop, that was it. I don't even consider lighting up indoors now. And I imagine that when the weather gets cold in a month or two, I won't be smoking outdoors, either.

Bear, I've always known it was a stupid, unhealthful habit. But I was unable to force myself to quit, even though I knew damn well why I needed to do so. I had to wait until I just got fed up with smoking -- the smell, the taste, the effects, etc. Actually, what really pushed me into giving up indoor smoking was the fear of my pets getting cancer from being exposed to secondhand smoke. I'd never forgive myself if that happened.

8:49 PM, November 11, 2007  
Blogger Saija said...

yay! good for you ...

that sounds like a great way to stop!

leo never smoked inside the house - always went outside ... so on the 40 below days - well he didn't go often! then he quit for good in 2002 ... :o)

10:04 PM, November 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home