Useful tip of the day
I had the exterior of my house re-painted yesterday (it looks fabulous, incidentally -- sort of an artichoke green with cream-colored trim and a red front door). I came home from an outing just as the painters were finishing up, and when I went inside, I inadvertently brushed my purse against the door frame. I didn't notice until about half an hour later that my black patent leather purse had several large splotches of artichoke green paint on one side. I didn't figure there was any way to save it and resigned myself to going to the mall today to buy a replacement, which sucked because I love that purse, haven't had it that long, and paid quite a bit for it. I was hoping to find an identical one at the mall.
Later in the evening, as I was surfing the web, I decided to Google "how to get paint off of leather," just for kicks. I pulled up a site that suggested using dish soap and warm water. I thought, "No way will that work," but I didn't have anything to lose, so I tried it anyway. It worked like a charm! I was amazed. The paint came right off with minimal effort and the purse looks good as new.
The site also recommended using olive oil if the soap and water failed to take off all of the paint, but I didn't even have to do that. It's amazing what you can find on Google these days.
Later in the evening, as I was surfing the web, I decided to Google "how to get paint off of leather," just for kicks. I pulled up a site that suggested using dish soap and warm water. I thought, "No way will that work," but I didn't have anything to lose, so I tried it anyway. It worked like a charm! I was amazed. The paint came right off with minimal effort and the purse looks good as new.
The site also recommended using olive oil if the soap and water failed to take off all of the paint, but I didn't even have to do that. It's amazing what you can find on Google these days.


7 Comments:
i'm glad you got the paint off!
and yes, we had snow a few days ago ... but it's gone now ... soon to return though ... it is consistently around 40F here ... getting cooler and cooler!!!
I have to say that Google makes the internet worthwhile. There are so many people out there with good ideas that they can share.
Hi Saija!
hi back ... :o)
just came by for another useful tip ... :o)
Maybe I should start a "Cat's Useful Tips" blog. :)
We finally got a "cold" front today. It's about 50 degrees outside at the moment, but it's supposed to be back in the 70s tomorrow and back in the 80s on Sunday. Sigh. I want my autumn weather!!
Bear, I love Google. And my Google skills are furious, let me tell you. When people at work or friends or family members need to find out something obscure, they ask me because they know I can find it lightning fast. I'm the fastest Googler in the West. :)
Funny you should mention the paint job.
When I was a junior rank in Düsseldorf we used to get our accommodation inspected every Friday morning. One of the areas inspected was the ablutions and every cleaning agent that money could buy was used in trying to keep it clean. Then I was told to use plain and simple soap powder. Christ you really should see how good the results are. (Really good in getting the Bath sparkling) and its cheaper.
Ha! Go figure. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home