Perhaps this is why we blog:
After the bare requisites of living and reproducing, man wants most to leave some record of himself, a proof, perhaps, that he has really existed. He leaves his proof on wood, on stone, or on the lives of other people. This deep desire exists in everyone, from the boy who scribbles on a wall to the Buddha who etches his image in the race mind. Life is so unreal. I think that we seriously doubt that we exist and go about trying to prove that we do.
~John Steinbeck, The Pastures of Heaven, p 56
US novelist (1902 - 1968)
~John Steinbeck, The Pastures of Heaven, p 56
US novelist (1902 - 1968)


6 Comments:
I have never been one to care what kind of legacy I leave on this world. After the way Bush the beanhole fucks it up, there won't be much left and the next generation will have to erase the arrogance, stupidity, and hypocrisy of the current world and start over.
I have no strong desire to leave a legacy, either, but I *have* always had an irrepressible urge to write. Journals, poetry, letters, whatever. I just love to write, and when I have nothing to write about, I will still sit with pen in hand, staring at a blank sheet of paper (or with fingers poised over keyboard, staring at a blank screen), racking my brain, trying to come up with something to write about. I wonder if the last sentence in that quote has anything to do with why.
I used to write for fun quite a bit. Now, I do so much writing at work its a rare thing. When I've got something I'm trying to work out, I write more. But then, I think Cat watches less TV than I do :)
"When I've got something I'm trying to work out, I write more."
I do that, too! It's funny; I usually can't write when I'm happy, but when I've got troubles, I write like a fiend.
LOL, I only watch one show regularly -- American Idol. I know, I know, it's super cheesy, but I can't help it. It appeals to the karaoke queen in me. :)
I don't expect my writings in my blog to last over 10 years. Some computer glitch will occur and it will be lost in cyberspace forever.
Maybe aliens will pick up the signal when that happens, and decide to make first contact with us, all thanks to your blog, Wino.
Post a Comment
<< Home