Monday, April 10, 2006

Fun at the rheumatologist's office

I had my four-month follow-up with my rheumatologist this morning. Actually, my appointment was with his new nurse practitioner, who seemed very nice and knowledgeable, although it was kind of weird to not see the doctor at all this time around. I've been seeing him since February of 2003, and this was the first time I've had an appointment where he didn't personally examine me.

Anyway, it seems that the methotrexate alone is no longer controlling my RA, so I am going to have to go back on the Enbrel. The good news is that when I was on Enbrel before, I was able to take a lower dose of methotrexate, so I'll probably be able to start lowering it again, and potentially, I may be able to stop the methotrexate entirely and use just the Enbrel.

She also sent me for x-rays of both hands and feet to check for "corrosive damage." That sounds lovely, doesn't it? In addition, I had to do a TB skin test -- they have to check for TB exposure before starting Enbrel, because if you've been exposed to TB, the Enbrel will cause you to come down with a full-blown case of it, apparently. I don't remember being tested for TB the first time I was on Enbrel, but it's a fairly new drug, so maybe they didn't know about that yet. Anyway, I go back Wednesday morning to get the TB test checked, and then in six weeks to see how the Enbrel is working.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"corrosive damage"... Great name for a band, don't you think?

I have a friend whose ligaments (I think it's her ligaments) are deteriorating. I think it's her ligaments. Anyway, they have to fuse her joints together or she will just fall apart. I know she just had both wrists fused. I'm not sure where else the disease has effected her.

Between us three, we are spending everyone else's insurance money. I love the fact that we are cutting into those thieves' profits. I guess there is a good side to all the pain and agony.

Aaaaaaanyway. 8) Big hugs to you. Keep your chin up!

10:16 AM, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

"Anyway, they have to fuse her joints together or she will just fall apart. I know she just had both wrists fused."

Oh, wow! That really sucks. I know I'll soon be having the same joint on my right foot fused that I had fused on my left foot last year, and there may also be another thumb fusion on the horizon, but I'm hoping that'll be my last fusion for awhile.

**hugs** to you, too!

1:30 PM, April 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing that there are so many ways that a human body can degenerate without dying.

Is this some kind of Holy Torture?

12:15 PM, April 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home