The Foot Surgeon
I had my appointment with good old Dr. Smoot yesterday afternoon. It went well, with no real surprises. As I'd predicted, he gave me a cortisone injection in the affected nerve (and if you don't think an injection directly into a nerve hurts like hell, you're crazy). He also noted that the bottom joint of my big toe has deteriorated a lot in the last year. I'd had that same joint on my left foot fused last April, and the doc told me yesterday that we're looking at a fusion for the right foot in the near future. He went ahead and injected that joint with cortisone, as well.
He didn't even bother to schedule a follow-up visit -- he just said something to the effect that we'll see how long the injections hold me over, and to call him when I'm ready to schedule surgery.
Sigh.
Ideally, I'd like to put off any foot surgery until after Achilles has had his knee surgery and is rehabilitated from it. That way I won't be incapacitated myself while also trying to care for an incapacitated dog.
He didn't even bother to schedule a follow-up visit -- he just said something to the effect that we'll see how long the injections hold me over, and to call him when I'm ready to schedule surgery.
Sigh.
Ideally, I'd like to put off any foot surgery until after Achilles has had his knee surgery and is rehabilitated from it. That way I won't be incapacitated myself while also trying to care for an incapacitated dog.


4 Comments:
Anything done to a nerve is extremely painful.
Big hugs for you. You have more surgeries going on in your house than I have. I'll have to catch up. ;)
Noooooooooo, don't worry about catching up! LOL
I was just walking from my desk to the copy room to put some boxes in the recycling bin, when one of the attorneys stopped me and said, "You're limping too much. Why don't you let me take those?" I hadn't even realized I was limping at all. Dammit.
Doesn't it suck when you work so hard to hide it and people notice anyway?
It's probably good that you let people help you more even though you don't want to let them.
Yeah, I'm not good at receiving sympathy or help. I get the feeling you are the same way! I have learned over the past few years, though, that sometimes it is necessary to ask for help.
Post a Comment
<< Home