Bad News for Achilles

Achilles had his annual exam with the vet on Friday, and it seems he is going to need to have knee surgery. I didn't even realize dogs had "knees." I did realize, however, that ever since I got Achilles, he has had a habit of occasionally limping on one or both of his hind legs, but for just a few minutes at a time, and then he seems fine. Well, it turns out that he has luxating patellas in both hind legs, and needs to have surgery ASAP to correct the problem. I spent the weekend researching this problem on the web, and spoke with a friend of mine who works with dogs for a living, and all information seems to say that the longer the surgery is put off, the greater the potential for additional damage to the bones and joints, and the more extensive the surgery that will be required. Plus, I can't stand the thought of my puppy being in pain for any longer than he has to, so I want to get this over with quickly.
With that in mind, I hope to have his surgery scheduled within the next month or so. I dread the thought of taking any animal in for surgery -- they have no idea what is happening, and they don't like it, and it breaks my heart every time. This has to be done, though.
Sigh.


2 Comments:
OK, I come to your board. And now I'm depressed. Sorry about your cat. And I hate the idea of putting a dog out for an operation. Achilles probably wore his knees out thinking he was a cat.
LOL, sorry about that, Wino!
Yeah, it's been a crappy week. I really hate the idea of taking Achilles to have surgery, but apparently if I don't, he could end up severely crippled. He'a already limping more and more, and keeping his hind legs stiff when he walks. I think you may be onto something with the thinking he's a cat thing, though. He has even developed a habit of jumping onto the coffee table when he gets excited. I think he learned that from the kitties.
Post a Comment
<< Home