Punkin continues to mourn
I have really never seen anything like this before.
Ever since Punkin's escape last weekend, he has been trying all week long to get out again. Any time I open either the front or (especially) the back door for any reason, he's right there, trying to slip past me. Then, on Friday evening, he started doing this:
He just wanders around the house in a big circle, going upstairs to the bedroom, back down the stairs, around the living room, around the kitchen and dining room, into the laundry room, back to the living room, jumps up into the windowsill, scratches on the front door, flops down right next to the front door for a few moments, and then gets up and starts the circle all over again -- crying the entire time. As he makes his rounds, he'll stop in his tracks every so often and turn his head from left to right, as if he's searching for Cocoa Bean. When I go to bed, instead of snuggling up on my pillow, where he and Cocoa Bean used to sleep above my head, he just walks in a circle around the mattress, then sticks his face right in my face and cries.
This is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever witnessed. I don't how to comfort him. How do you explain to a cat that his best buddy is not coming back?
Ever since Punkin's escape last weekend, he has been trying all week long to get out again. Any time I open either the front or (especially) the back door for any reason, he's right there, trying to slip past me. Then, on Friday evening, he started doing this:
He just wanders around the house in a big circle, going upstairs to the bedroom, back down the stairs, around the living room, around the kitchen and dining room, into the laundry room, back to the living room, jumps up into the windowsill, scratches on the front door, flops down right next to the front door for a few moments, and then gets up and starts the circle all over again -- crying the entire time. As he makes his rounds, he'll stop in his tracks every so often and turn his head from left to right, as if he's searching for Cocoa Bean. When I go to bed, instead of snuggling up on my pillow, where he and Cocoa Bean used to sleep above my head, he just walks in a circle around the mattress, then sticks his face right in my face and cries.
This is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever witnessed. I don't how to comfort him. How do you explain to a cat that his best buddy is not coming back?


2 Comments:
I think you just have to let him work his way through it, no matter what. He will get over it in time I'm sure.
Yeah, he seems to get a tiny bit better each day. He's still crying and pacing, and waking me up at night by howling in the windowsill, but I think he does these things a tiny bit less each day. I just feel so bad for him. :(
Post a Comment
<< Home