One more day...
Tomorrow is my boss's last day at work, and hence, mine as well. I think I've been in a bit of denial about the whole thing, because I haven't been actively searching for a new job. I have one potential lead through a friend of a friend that I'm hoping will result in an offer, but I know better than to put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, and I really should have been looking for other opportunities over the past few weeks. Now that it's down to my last day, I'm really feeling anxious and a bit depressed.
The good news is that I do have an offer of a temporary position in the office of a very prominent attorney who is shorthanded right now and told me I could work for her while I look for something permanent. I haven't finalized anything with her since I was hoping something else would come through, but I suppose I will call her tomorrow and see if I can start next week. Working for her will be a very valuable experience due to both her credentials and her contacts.
Bummed as I am about having to start over in a new firm, I am trying to see this as a good thing. I've been in my current job for five and a half years, and while I've enjoyed it very much and have been very blessed to work for a couple of wonderful people who have been very good to me, it is probably time for me to move on to something new. I've probably learned all I can learn at my current job, so a change may be just what I need to grow in my career.
I've got all of my personal stuff at the office packed up and ready to load into my car tomorrow, and I've also got all loose ends tied up, so I'm feeling good about leaving on a positive note. My boss who is retiring took the time to tell me the other day how much he's appreciated the job I've done, and how bad he feels about his retirement meaning the end of my job (not that I think he has anything to feel guilty about -- the guy is going to be 75 this year; he can't work forever!). He offered to help in any way he can in my job search and to give me a glowing recommendation, as has the other attorney I work for, so that's a very good thing. I just have to trust that it will all work out for the best.
The good news is that I do have an offer of a temporary position in the office of a very prominent attorney who is shorthanded right now and told me I could work for her while I look for something permanent. I haven't finalized anything with her since I was hoping something else would come through, but I suppose I will call her tomorrow and see if I can start next week. Working for her will be a very valuable experience due to both her credentials and her contacts.
Bummed as I am about having to start over in a new firm, I am trying to see this as a good thing. I've been in my current job for five and a half years, and while I've enjoyed it very much and have been very blessed to work for a couple of wonderful people who have been very good to me, it is probably time for me to move on to something new. I've probably learned all I can learn at my current job, so a change may be just what I need to grow in my career.
I've got all of my personal stuff at the office packed up and ready to load into my car tomorrow, and I've also got all loose ends tied up, so I'm feeling good about leaving on a positive note. My boss who is retiring took the time to tell me the other day how much he's appreciated the job I've done, and how bad he feels about his retirement meaning the end of my job (not that I think he has anything to feel guilty about -- the guy is going to be 75 this year; he can't work forever!). He offered to help in any way he can in my job search and to give me a glowing recommendation, as has the other attorney I work for, so that's a very good thing. I just have to trust that it will all work out for the best.


4 Comments:
I'm very sorry that you are losing your job, especially under circumstances you can't control.
But I know you will find something new really quickly.
{{{{{Cat}}}}}
Thanks, Bear! I'm sure everything is going to work out well. I've decided to take the entire next week off. I haven't had a vacation in two years, so a break will be a good thing. Then I can do the temp job if I need to.
You have a good plan. You'd be surprized how many people that get laid off don't even have that.
I know that you will find something better. You deserve it.
sigh ... i cringe at change ... yet, as you so positively say - it can be a good thing ...
lately with all uncertainities in our life, i keep reminding myself that there would be no butterflies if there was no change ... so i'm hoping to sprout wings soon!
Post a Comment
<< Home