Monday, July 10, 2006

A bit of excitement

I had quite a rude shock when I woke up and shuffled into the kitchen for my morning frappuccino today -- I stopped dead in my tracks halfway through the dining room when I spotted a SNAKE on the kitchen floor! A SNAKE IN MY KITCHEN! Aaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

I hate snakes more than almost anything on this planet. I'm terrified of them! AND THERE WAS ONE IN MY KITCHEN! It wasn't moving, but it was making sort of an "S" shape as if it had been in mid-slither when I walked in. I had no idea what to do. It was very small, but I don't know anything about snakes and had no clue what kind it was or if it was dangerous. As I stood there in stark terror, my cat Oliver sauntered up, flopped down on the snake, and started rolling around on it, which made me shriek in a panic until I realized that the snake was, in fact, already dead. Apparently, my army of cats had already dispatched it and were using it as a toy.

**shudder**

I still don't know what kind of snake it was, but I'm guessing it was harmless, since none of my cats seem any worse for the wear. I was hoping it was just a garter snake or something, but it did NOT look like any of these, which is a bit worrisome. It was small (probably just a baby) and greyish-brown, with a darker sort of diamond pattern on its skin and a diamond-shaped head. No rattle, though. Whew! It is now decomposing somewhere in the far reaches of my back yard. I'm just a little nervous now, because I don't know how it got inside the house or if there are going to be any more.

Yikes!

6 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

yes, that would have been SCARY! yikes!

we just have garter snakes here in manitoba ... and in grade 6 our teacher had 2 snakes in the classroom that he said we all had to handle at sometime during the year ... so doing that, i got over my fear of them ... they were pretty docile because they hiberenate in the winter ... then in the spring, we gave them frogs to eat - that was a gruesome scene ... blah!

we're still in a weird state with the sudden passing of leo's sister ... tho we have decided not to go to the funeral ... just too tough on him ...

(hugs)

10:28 PM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

I remember handling a garter snake (in Canada, in fact) once when I was a child. And in Bangkok I petted a boa constrictor at the circus. Snakes didn't scare me or freak me out when I was a kid, but you'll never see me handling a snake of any variety these days! I don't know why they scare me so much -- I've never been attacked by one or anything. I just can't stand 'em.

I was so very sorry to hear about Leo's sister! I can definitely relate to the sudden loss of a sibling -- I lost my brother to meningitis in February of 2000. Never even saw it coming. One day he had an ear infection, and a few days later, he was gone. I know mere words don't really help at a time like this, but you guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

**hugs** to you both!

12:34 AM, July 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it wasn't a copperhead, I think that's what they were.... They are very poisonous and agressive. They hang out near rivers, so when I was living near Houstoned, we had plenty. I think I ended up killing about four or five of them, one which was around 4 feet long. They were everywhere. And I hate them now too.

10:54 AM, July 12, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

I'm pretty sure it was NOT a copperhead. I looked at copperhead photos online, and it didn't look like that at all. Whew! I've never encountered a copperhead, but I have heard horror stories from people who have. Those are some nasty little bastards.

9:53 PM, July 12, 2006  
Blogger Saija said...

well you can certainly relate to this very very unreal experience of losing a sibling ... i am so sorry to hear that you lost a brother so suddenly ... i have only one brother and i love him to bits, his passing would almost take a part of my identity away ...

leo and lucille were pretty tight and could talk for hours on the phone ... not all that often, but they definitely kept in touch ... and i e-mailed her all the time ...

i go back to work tomorrow ... i don't want to, but i feel obligated not to take more time off ... i mean i only have another 6-7 weeks and i'm finished for the season again - and during that time i'll have a few vacation days tucked in ...

i so appreciate you, catherine ... and i appreciate you too rick ...

blessings on the rest of your week ...

9:11 AM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

"i have only one brother and i love him to bits, his passing would almost take a part of my identity away ..."

That's exactly what it was like. I have two other brothers and love them dearly, but Steve and I were closest in age (18 months apart) and had a really special bond. I really feel for Leo's loss, and yours too. :(

I hope you manage to enjoy your work week! Sometimes it helps to get back to the grind.

"i so appreciate you, catherine ... and i appreciate you too rick ..."

Thank you, Saija! I appreciate you very much, as well. I'm so glad Rick's blog brought us together. Huzzah for Rick!

**hugs**

10:17 PM, July 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home