Thursday, July 06, 2006

Another apropos horoscope

"Dear Catherine,
Here is your horoscope
for Tuesday, July 4:

Be kind and give yourself a bracing pep talk -- the kind that you'd give a dear old friend. After all, if you can't be your number one cheerleader, who can? This setback is just a temporary set of circumstances."

I am definitely not cut out for unemployment. It's been three days (two of which would have been holidays anyway), and I'm already bored to death of being at home and not having anywhere to be all day. If this lasts much longer, I will be in kick-ass shape, though. I've been riding my bike every day (instead of my usual three days a week) since I have nothing else to do.

I've also been getting some things done around the house that have been left undone far too long, so that's a good thing. And I got to go grocery shopping in the middle of the day today, which was great because the stores were so much less crowded than they are after work or on the weekends!

I also had to run by the office this afternoon to pick up a package and drop off my parking card. It was really strange to be there as a "visitor" and not an employee. My remaining boss (the one who didn't retire) already misses me, but I think he'll adjust pretty well to being without an assistant. He does a lot of his client communications via email and is perfectly capable of drafting his own documents and preparing his own discovery and such, although of course, that will eat into time he could be using to take on more clients. Anyway, he told me again that he'll feel a lot better once I've found a new position somewhere, and he's very anxious to write letters of recommendation, chat on the phone with prospective employers, etc. My boss who retired told me essentially the same thing on Friday before he left.

My temporary position fell through, unfortunately, because the attorney got a call from a former employee who was looking for work, and so she rehired her. I guess that's probably for the best -- it would have been a good opportunity for both experience and contacts, but I would have felt bad about having to leave right away if I found something permanent.

I'm beginning to fear that my one potential job lead is not going to result in an offer, which is a bit upsetting. I still have some very good contacts in the local legal community, though, and I have a solid resume and work history, and plenty of people who are eager to give me a good recommendation, so I know it will all work out. I'll start sending out resumes next week if I've heard nothing from that one lead.

"...whether or not it is clear to [me],
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
~Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep digging love! You'll find yours.

7:23 PM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, Bear! I was gonna start digging today, but I decided I needed an extra day of rest after attending two BBQs over the weekend. Whew! Just being outdoors for hours in the heat and humidity takes a lot out of a person. Tomorrow I'm gonna run some errands and send out some resumes.

7:51 PM, July 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home