Friday, July 14, 2006

What is going on this year?!

My parents are out of town this week at a music conference in Ohio (my dad runs his own business writing and publishing instrumental music for churches). I just got a call from my mom, letting me know that my dad had a heart attack while walking back to the music conference from lunch today. Fortunately, there was an EMT nearby, who called an ambulance right away, and they got him to the hospital soon enough that they think he is going to be all right. They are going to keep him there for a week, though.

My mom didn't sound panicked at all when I talked to her, so I am not overly worried. He must be doing pretty well, or she would have been freaking out on the phone. I am still concerned, of course -- I don't know a whole lot about heart attacks, but I'm pretty sure that a fairly minor first heart attack is often just a precursor for a major heart attack a little way down the road. I certainly hope that won't be the case for my dad. In any event, all I can do for the moment is pray and hope for the best. I wish this hadn't happened while they are so far from home.

So, let's recap:

So far this year, my dog has had a major knee surgery and needs the same surgery on his other knee in the near future; my uncle has died of cancer; I've had one eye surgery and will have the same surgery on the other eye in a few days; I lost my job; one of my cats died; I need to have two surgeries on my right foot; an acquaintance who was by all accounts a wonderful person was killed by a drunk driver; and now my father has had a heart attack. AND WE'RE ONLY HALFWAY THROUGH THE YEAR! I don't even want to know what's going to happen next. Maybe I'll be struck by lightning while walking Achilles this evening. That would just be perfect. Damn.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really wish I had some of those Silver Pinions to offer you today.

**hugs**

:)

11:18 PM, July 14, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Well, I didn't get struck by lightning when I took Achilles out this evening, but I did find out where that snake in my kitchen came from the other day. There is a nest of the little bastards under the corner of the house right by my back door!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Somebody make it stop!!!

11:26 PM, July 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

It's a freaking conspiracy! ZOG must have a department of creepy reptiles, now. You should call them and demand they move the nest to Chimbo's house!

We're certainly glad to hear that you didn't get struck by lightening... that would be just WAY over the top...

Hope you had a aiiight day today! :)

Aroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

5:38 PM, July 15, 2006  
Blogger Saija said...

well sheesh ... it CERTAINLY has been a year of yucky happenings ... and then some!

hope your dad makes a full recovery!

1:02 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, Saija! He was able to talk on the phone yesterday, and he sounded really good. They are going to put in a second stent tomorrow (they already put in one the day of the attack), and he is due to be released from the hospital on Tuesday. However, he can't travel til at least Friday, so my parents are stuck in Ohio til then.

He's been instructed to fly home (my parents drove out there), so my two brothers are each flying to Columbus next week, my parents will fly home, and my brothers will drive their car back to Austin and then return to their respective homes in Phoenix and Houston. What a mess!

So far, so good, though, so we are all very happy that my dad is doing so well.

1:34 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

LOL, tokin, I demand to speak to the Jew in Charge of Creepy Reptiles!! I am going to file a grievance.

1:35 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Saija said...

i'm glad to hear that your dad is sounding good! he's probably a strong guy ...

sending you big hugs ... and wish your dad a speedy recover from us!

12:50 PM, July 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe life is trying to tell you it's time to come visit Colorado?

;)

Keep your chin up lady, things will get better.

9:59 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Baconeater said...

I found a cartoon to go with your spider post.

7:18 AM, July 18, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

LMAO, Wino!

Bear, there is no travel anywhere in my foreseeable future. I even cancelled my Port A trip for the second year in a row. Which is probably for the best. The way my year has been, Port A would get hit by a hurricane while I was there and sweep me out to sea or some shit. LOL

10:45 AM, July 18, 2006  
Blogger Baconeater said...

Here are a couple of links possibly for your blogroll.

Minister of Rants and Dlisted

11:02 AM, July 18, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, Wino! I'll look at those a bit later. I had my second eye surgery today (a post about that will be forthcoming) and I'm not able to do much reading at the moment (typing is another matter, although I can't really see what I'm typing, so there may be some funny typos).

3:38 PM, July 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home