Thursday, August 03, 2006

Ugh

Okay, so. Today's interview could have gone better. I am really out of practice at the whole interviewing thing, and I was much too shy and quiet. Didn't talk myself up very well, or nearly enough. Didn't say or do anything completely embarrassing or otherwise awful, but I could have done a lot better than I did. I used to just ace every job interview I did. I definitely did not ace this one.

On the other hand, I still have some hope that they will offer me this job. They pulled just six resumes out of all of the ones they received for interviews, and they are looking for someone with pretty much my exact skills and background. I would be the legal assistant for the head of the product liability department. He spent about an hour talking with me about the position, and he seemed like a really nice guy who would be great to work for -- I got the idea that our personalities and work styles would mesh very well. I also got to chat with one of the paralegals from that department, and she also seemed really cool. The job almost sounds tailor-made for me. Let's hope they thought so, too, even if I was nervous and shy during the interview.

It would be a huge change for me to work for such a large firm. The largest firm I've worked for had just twelve attorneys -- this one has over a hundred. It was sort of surreal, sitting in this gigantic conference room for an hour and a half. Anyway, the pay and benefits would be great, and I think I'd really enjoy the job. He told me that he is going to finish interviewing on Monday and will make a decision by the middle to end of next week. I'm going to keep sending out resumes in the meantime, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for this one.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm dreading the thought of interviewing. It's been 7 years for me since last time. Ugh.

Fingers & paws crossed for you here, too! Hope you get that call! :)

9:15 PM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, tokin and Sheba! :)

I'm just kicking myself for not being more articulate during the interview, but hopefully my resume will carry me through. Both the attorney and the paralegal seemed very impressed with it.

Good luck to you, too! Interviewing is no fun at all.

9:25 PM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Saija said...

interviewing is yucky ... and now-a-days it seems that the interview teams are so intimitating!

maybe you came across as the "smart, quiet one" ... :o) ... i think being a chatty cathy might be worse??????

here's praying that the job has your name on it!!!! have a restful weekend ... *hugs*

7:41 AM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, Saija! :)

They did both mention that there is not a lot of chit-chat and gossip in their department (which is AWESOME -- I hate personal chit-chat at work!), so maybe the fact that I was very quiet will be a point in my favor. LOL

A wonderful weekend to you, as well!

**hugs**

12:07 PM, August 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interviewing sucks.` God knows I've done enough of it through the years. And I tell you, it feels like that's all I do these days. Trying to convince some person to do something you want them to do isn't easy.

But you'll do it. Don't worry. The best people to work with are the ones that see the potential in you, not the ones that expect you to talk yourself up.

2:04 PM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, Bear! :)

I usually try to have some answers to potential questions outlined in my head before an interview, but I just had no idea what to expect, and I think that hurt me. Oh well, now that I've done an interview, I'll have a better idea of what to expect from the next one if I don't get this job.

5:46 PM, August 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home