Thank goodness that's over!
I had my second eye surgery today, and it was most unpleasant compared to the first one.
Last time, the nurse put a bunch of different drops in my eye, and then I sat in the waiting room for another hour or so before the surgery, giving all of the drops plenty of time to take effect. One of the drops she used constricts the pupil of the eye, and it took quite awhile to take effect, because my pupils are normally very large, as if they're always dilated. Another of the drops was to numb the eye, and the other one was an anti-inflammatory.
This time, she gave me all the drops and then they called me back for the surgery about five minutes later. None of the drops had taken effect yet. My pupil wasn't remotely constricted, so the doctor had her just flood my eye with the constricting drops, which made my pupil slam shut so fast that I got a splitting headache right away. It felt like the left side of my head was going to pop open. The numbing drops hadn't taken effect, so whereas last time, I just felt sort of a little "thump" on my eyeball with every pulse of the laser, this time every pulse felt like, well, a LASER HITTING MY EYEBALL. It was excruciating. I am hardly a wimp when it comes to pain -- I can tolerate quite a bit, but I was afraid I was going to pass out before the surgery was over.
Fortunately, I managed to sit still (with a little help from the nurse holding the back of my head) and keep my eyeball still during the procedure, and it was over very quickly. I crawled into bed within about five minutes after I got home and slept for a couple of hours. I still have a bit of a residual headache, and my eye is a bit sore, but it's much, much better than it was right after surgery. And I could barely see when I got home, but now I can actually see the words on my computer screen again without squinting and putting my face right up next to the screen, so that's a good thing.
Last time, the nurse put a bunch of different drops in my eye, and then I sat in the waiting room for another hour or so before the surgery, giving all of the drops plenty of time to take effect. One of the drops she used constricts the pupil of the eye, and it took quite awhile to take effect, because my pupils are normally very large, as if they're always dilated. Another of the drops was to numb the eye, and the other one was an anti-inflammatory.
This time, she gave me all the drops and then they called me back for the surgery about five minutes later. None of the drops had taken effect yet. My pupil wasn't remotely constricted, so the doctor had her just flood my eye with the constricting drops, which made my pupil slam shut so fast that I got a splitting headache right away. It felt like the left side of my head was going to pop open. The numbing drops hadn't taken effect, so whereas last time, I just felt sort of a little "thump" on my eyeball with every pulse of the laser, this time every pulse felt like, well, a LASER HITTING MY EYEBALL. It was excruciating. I am hardly a wimp when it comes to pain -- I can tolerate quite a bit, but I was afraid I was going to pass out before the surgery was over.
Fortunately, I managed to sit still (with a little help from the nurse holding the back of my head) and keep my eyeball still during the procedure, and it was over very quickly. I crawled into bed within about five minutes after I got home and slept for a couple of hours. I still have a bit of a residual headache, and my eye is a bit sore, but it's much, much better than it was right after surgery. And I could barely see when I got home, but now I can actually see the words on my computer screen again without squinting and putting my face right up next to the screen, so that's a good thing.


7 Comments:
Damn, why would they make you go through all that?
I just sucks that these people who practice the medical arts always seem to need more practice.
I'm tellin' you. That really sucked.
Well, if one of the two surgeries had to go that way, I'm glad it was the second and not the first. The first one went so smoothly that I wasn't nervous at all today. It would have been ten times worse if I'd been nervous.
awwww, i'm so sorry ... like you needed more pain?
hopefully you won't need any more for a very long time, if ever! and that you can see everything super clear! :o)
i go for my eye check-up next week ... i will ask for bifocals ... senior-type-citizen that i am getting to be! i only wear glasses to drive (which i don't have too - but feel better doing) and i do wear bifocals (since last year) to read ...
eyes are the one thing that is still excellent on leo ... he had 20/10 vision or something super like that ... his birthday is on saturday, he turns 53 ...
(hugs) ... hope you have 100% recovered as you read this!
We're just glad it's over with. :)
*hugs*
Aroooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
I'm hoping to get my eyes laser soon. Glass are just one thing that have become a big hassle in my "new life".
I hope everything starts getting better for you.
Thanks, you guys! The good thing about it was that, although the pain was intense, it was very short-lived. :)
Saija, I hope your check-up goes well!
Bear, one of these days I will probably get LASIK. It would be so cool to be able to see when I first wake up, without having to grope around for my glasses! Let me know how yours goes when you get it.
Post a Comment
<< Home